Thursday, September 22, 2016

Pregnancy: Month 8

Feeling very pregnant. Apparently I look very pregnant.

Among the many people at my work having babies this calendar year, there was a guy's wife due one week before me, and a coworker due the day after me - they both had their babies a week and a half ago (the weekend I turned 36 weeks)! So 3 weeks and 4 weeks early, respectively. So that got me worried for a while that I'd go early too (and motivated me to finally finish packing the hospital bag), but then I realized that means somebody has to pull the average back to where it normally is, so I'll probably go 2 weeks over.

Weeks 12, 24, 36


Month 1Month 2Month 3Month 4Month 5Month 6. Month 7.

Official weeks: 33 - 36

Milestones

  • Got everything squared away to donate the cord blood.
  • Finished putting the nursery together. (Which, really, is silly because the baby's not even going to sleep there for a while.)
  • Installed the car seat.
  • Got my work to buy me a balance ball chair, which is supposed to be good to keep/get baby into the best position for labor, and also makes my back feel a lot better while sitting for hours.
  • Attended baby classes - infant CPR, breastfeeding, and basic baby care. 

Symptoms
  • Heartburn
  • Carpal tunnel, this time mostly in my right hand (in the second tri I had it some in my left hand, but that went away after a few weeks). 
  • Waking up during the night to pee. 

Mental health

I feel bit more iffy and wanting to cry on occasion, but not tons. After feeling almost more stable than usual for most of the pregnancy, I'm starting to feel like hormones actually are out of whack and making me slightly extra emotional.

Food:

I have to be cautious to eat smaller meals/snacks - eating too much makes me feel sick, but so does going to often without eating. It's a fine balance, not quite as fine as avoiding morning sickness in the first tri, but kind of along the same lines.

Purchases & gifts

  • Bottles - we bought just a couple of a couple different kinds, so we can try them out and see if the baby has any preferences before stocking up. 
  • A friend gave me some maternity work clothes, which was perfect as I was starting to reach capacity on some stuff. And, also a nice light jacket - I haven't truly needed it yet (though it is getting chilly in the mornings), but I very well still might in the next 2 to 4 weeks as we move into fall, and I was really not wanting to spend the money on a maternity jacket for such a small potential window of needing it.
  • She also gave us some small size gDiapers - ones that are basically like the one-size pocket diapers we're planning to use long-term, but sized for 8 to 12 pounds. Not a full stash to use full time, but enough to be able to ease into cloth versus disposable before the baby's ready for the regular cloth diapers. 


Weight gained: +38 pounds

Clothes

Very grateful for the stuff my friend gave me to have some additional options, especially for work. Many non-knit shirts no longer fit.

Currently reading

I kind of just stopped reading baby stuff, at least in books (still doing some various research and reading online, though). I should probably try to do some more of that sometime soon...

Most surprised by

Somehow I was thinking in the back of my mind that the mobility/back ache/etc. associated with pregnancy had at least as much to do with the overall weight gain than the bump itself, and well, I've been that heavy before, it didn't slow me down then, surely it won't be so bad? No, gaining 40 pounds in bump (ok, maybe more like 30 in bump and 10 extra elsewhere) constricts getting out of bed in a way that having 40 extra pounds spread out over my body does not even being to resemble. I guess it was wishful thinking, in a way, but it really is very different.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...