Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Lately

I'm so glad we're done with that week-long cold spell! I know 20 degree isn't really that cold, for many parts of the country, but around here, that's ridiculously cold, and we don't know how to handle it. Going for a run after work this week when it's a toasty 35 degrees has been great!

Imogene, though, isn't as thrilled. When it's in the 30 - 45 degree range outside, my apartment stays reasonably warm (by my standards) indoors, so I don't bother turning the heat on. Since it's no longer useful to lay underneath the heating vent, she's taken to cuddling up with the laptop cord.



I wasn't quite as lazy this past weekend as I was the previous one. I did a 5k race on Sunday morning. On Saturday I was even a little domestic, making a batch of beet dip since I'd gotten beets in my most recent produce box. I thought they were just normal red beets - they looked typical on the outside. But once I started peeling and cutting them, I found out they were candy cane beets! They don't really taste any different, but the usually-bright-fuchsia dip turned out a lovely shade of pink - lovely other than that all it reminds me of is an old-fashioned jello salad made with a red jello mixed with cottage cheese.



The most entertaining part of my weekend, though, was perhaps Sunday afternoon, when returning from grocery shopping, I saw a turkey walking around the apartment complex parking lot. Just hanging out. I saw him again this morning, running around (a running turkey is a quite amusing sight, FYI). Turns out Abe saw him a couple weeks ago, as well. One side of the complex does border a river bank/ravine sort of area, so I guess this guy must live in that natural area, and comes looking for food or something around the buildings? I don't know. I thought it was strange how many outdoor cats I saw wandering around, but this tops that.



Does anyone know how to tell whether a turkey is male or female? Any suggestions for a name to reference Mr./Ms. Turkey? My usual default is Bob, but somehow I don't think s/he looks like a Bob.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for answering my question on phishing!

    Those beets are pretty. The jello with cottage cheese sounds disgusting though. But maybe that is because I hate both jello and cottage cheese :). My MIL serves jello as a side dish at every meal - I'm not sure if this is a regional thing or what. It says a lot about her other dishes that jello is often my favorite part of the meal :)

    I don't have any great ideas about a name. How about Gobble? Gender neutral, applicable. Or Bobble - a combination of your go-to name and Gobble. Fun to say too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!

      I think the jello salad is a generational thing - my mom has a standard jello dish for holidays, but it's not as disgusting as cottage cheese. :) (Lemon jello with raspberries - I actually didn't mind it when I ate jello before going vegetarian.) I think the "jello and cottage cheese" I have vague memory of was something my grandma made.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...