Monday, December 8, 2014

Year of Running: 2014


Link-up with Miss Zippy. See also 2013 and 2012 editions.

Best race experience?

That's actually a tough call. A lot of new experiences this year, a couple new PRs, other races that were fun. I think overall I'd say the best was my first triathlon. This is a situation that involves not just pushing myself to my highest effort for the distance, but putting myself in situations where I'm literally fearing for my life (I know in my mind it's unlikely to actually be that dangerous, but my brain says otherwise) (i.e., the swim and bike, that is all but the run section). And yet I still finished it!

Best run?

Well, maybe just because it's fresh in my mind, but I'd say last week's track workout, where I hit paces I truly didn't know I was capable of for any amount of time longer than a millisecond. I've had some moments of disillusionment this year, particularly in regards to not having endurance for longer races at a pace I'd be happy with. But some of this speedwork is going ok; maybe focusing on and setting goals on shorter distances could be gratifying. 

Best new piece of gear?

This headlamp. I've actually owned this for a couple years, but only used it once or twice until this summer for the night leg at Hood to Coast. That convinced me that it's really not that uncomfortable, and has motivated me to get out and do more evening runs this year as the days have gotten shorter.

It has a nice spotlight in the front, and a blinking red light in the back. It's rechargeable via USB - I think it's lasted at least 5 or 6 hours without charging. 






Best piece of running advice you received?

From Abe, what basically boils down to "eat less crap" (those aren't exactly the words he used). 

Most inspirational runner?

Oh, this question is always hard! I am pretty impressed with my coworker, Meg, who also ran the Seattle half marathon, and got a sub-2 at her first half!

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?

New experiences!

This year's races

First Run 5k (new PR)
Bloomsday 12k
Helvetia 10k (new PR)
Foot Traffic Flat half marathon
Hood to Coast relay (first relay) (and my work got a team again this year :) )
Aluminum Man sprint triathlon (first tri)
Near Boring 8k
Seattle Half Marathon

8 comments:

  1. Loving reading these year of running posts. They are leading me to all sorts of new blogs. Congrats on your first tri this year! I've yet to do one but maybe someday if I can get over my fear of open swim and road biking. Oh wait, that's two out of three...I might just stick to running. ha! Eat less crap...I like this advice! On that note, I'm putting the gingerbread cookies away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't think I DID get over my fear or open swim and biking, but I did the tri anyway. :p

      Delete
  2. Booyah! Great year for you, both from the new experience and new PR perspective. I love reading about years of success like that. Keep up the great work and thanks for linking in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! and thanks for hosting the link-up, always enjoy participating. :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your first tri and your first relay! Love that the tri scared you but you did it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still scared even now that I've done it, but still hoping to do more! :)

      Delete
  4. Isn't that just the best when you hit splits that you never knew you had in you! Here's to more of that kind of running in 2015!

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...