Friday, December 13, 2013

Running in 2013

Survey from and link-up on Miss Zippy. Also see 2012's edition.

Best race experience?

The First Run 5k on New Year's day. It had a great, festive vibe, with a countdown to midnight. I was running sans Garmin (having forgotten it in the car and realized too late to go back to get it), and set an unexpected PR by over four minutes. It was the best way to start the year!

Best run?

A 3.1 mile run the second tapering week of marathon training. I was trying for a fairly fast pace, but only planning on a couple miles. After a mile or so, though, I realized that I was on track to beat my official 5k PR (see previous question) - and did by 2 1/2 minutes. 

Best new piece of gear?

The Nathan hydration vest. I don't enjoy using it, per se, but it definitely was a huge help during marathon training!

Best piece of running advice you received?

I can't pinpoint an exact source where I read this, but from various articles and whatnot over the year I internalized how much conditions - specifically things like heat and humidity - can effect your run. Just because I know that, under perfect conditions, I can run a certain pace, I shouldn't beat myself up for not being able to do so when it's 85 degrees out.

Most inspirational runner?

Beth of Shut Up & Run - she did her first Ironman this year in under 13 hours! 

If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be?

The year of the marathon!



1 comment:

  1. Heat and humidity are HUGE pace crushers, for sure! I love that you named a 5k for your best race…it really can be a fun distance, even though it hurts. And running w/o a Garmin…you just may be onto something (my personal prejudice on how to race). Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...