Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Running Gear: Hydration

My first half marathon was in May 2012, so my training was during a time when (1) the weather was cool, and (2) I was too busy to fit in any very long runs. But for the race itself, I knew I'd be out for over three hours on a hot spring day, and wanted to make sure I had a way to carry water, instead of merely relying on the water stops.

At the last minute, I ordered a waistpack with a pouch and two water bottles - basically, a glorified fanny pack. It worked, but since then I've experimented with more options.


Waistpack/running belt


This isn't the originally one I had (it came in sizes, rather than being fully adjustable, and after a while it got too big! I decided to buy a different one that could be more versatile). This is from the Nathan "build your own built" series. It has two 8-ounce water bottles (and a pouch that Abe misplaced somewhere during marathon training). Abe used this for the marathon, filling one with water and the other with a homemade energy gel made with molasses and honey.

Pros: Versatile - even the belts with fixed components offer a variety of bottles and pouches to suit your needs. No weight on your shoulders or in your hands.

Cons: I've found it hard to find one with a good fit, that has enough stretch to be comfortable, but tight enough to not bounce around while you're moving. It really is just a glorified fanny pack.

Handhelds


I've had the Amphipod 12 ounce insulated bottle for a while; and bought the Nathan 10 ounce bottle the day before the marathon. The latter is nice because it has a thumbhole; on the Amphipod bottle your thumb is just kind of hanging out on top.

Pros: No bouncing around on your waist or back. Less weight if you don't need to carry as much for a less-long run. The cheapest - as low as $15 or $20.

Cons: Having it on your hand can be annoying after a while. Less capacity. The weight of the holder makes it a bit deceptive to judge how much water is actually left. 

Hydration pack/camelbak


This Nathan vest was a staple of my marathon training. It holds 2 liters (70 ounces) of water, and is actually quite comfortable, for the most part. It doesn't bounce around as much as I feared it might. 

Pros: Lots of pockets. Huge water capacity.

Cons: More expensive ($100+, but after trying it on at the REI store, I found last year's model online for less). Difficult to gauge how much water is left during a run. Even though there is mesh that is supposed to be breathable, it does create more sweat on your back in the heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...