Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Up and Down and Up

I avoided taking measurements during, and for quite a while after tax season, and then avoided doing the analysis and write up for a while after finally measuring. Back in January, I was doing reasonably well -  down 10 pounds from when I started keeping good records last summer, and down 17 pounds from what I think was my highest ever weight.

Now, I didn't really think I'd lose weight during tax season; the goal was more to not gain weight. For context, I averaged working 55 hours a week in February, 60 - 65 hours a week in March, and 75 and 79 hours for the two weeks in April before tax day. I was also putting time and energy into building a dating relationship that started in January.

What I did accomplish:

  • I ran 154 miles between January 1 to April 15 - an average of just over 10 miles per week. My highest running week was 18.2 miles (just after the March 15 corporate due date, so it's a small dip in work load before quickly ramping back up for the April 15 due date).
  • My pants still fit. Ultimately, especially as I gain more fitness, and thus gain muscle, clothing size and measurements are at least as important as pounds in evaluating health/size/appearance. Granted, my current pants size was starting to get loose, and by the end of tax season it was just fitting. But, it never got too tight!
  • I cut 10 minutes off my post-tax season half marathon from last year.

What I didn't accomplish:


I'm certainly not thrilled with that. But, it makes sense when I look back on things. Although I did more running than ever before during busy season, I completely slacked off on strength training or any other exercise. Eating wise I think I improved slightly over past years (there are a lot of treats available in the kitchen at work), but still ate quite a bit of junk food.

8 pounds seems like a lot to gain over 4 months (I'm still thinking a little of that is leg muscle from so much running? or am I just in denial?). And this puts my BMI just slightly back into the obese category. On the other hand, at least I'm still down (if just slightly) over a year ago. I'm also still down 9 pounds and, more importantly, 3 pants sizes, from my highest ever (18 months-ish ago).

Current focus: strength training and eating. Fewer cookies and ice cream, more apples and carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...