Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Laughing Lotus Urban Oasis Kickstarter Project

After going on the first VegNews yoga retreat last year, I sought out somewhere to continue my yoga practice. Previously, I had learned some poses via a book (Dynamic Yoga*), and taken a few classes at various gyms. Despite living so close to the hippy-ness of Portland, I found there weren't very many yoga studios in the suburbs. I go to classes at Blissful Energy Yoga Center occasionally; it's somewhere in between a gym (physical) yoga class and a yoga (spiritual/meditative) yoga class. Once in a while I also make it to SE Portland to the Bhaktishop Yoga Center, which is more of the balance of physical-mental-spiritual. 


With Jasmine at this year's yoga retreat

If I lived in San Francisco, however, I would go to Laughing Lotus - a studio co-founded by Jasmine, the teacher at the yoga retreat. (They also have a studio in New York.) The Laughing Lotus philosophy of conscious living includes veganism - after all, how can you live at peace with the world while still contributing to the horrors of the farming industry? (They don't require anything diet-wise of their students, but teachers in training must take steps towards veganism.)

Laughing Lotus is raising money on kickstarter to build an "urban oasis", adding onto their studio with a vegan cafe and parklet. After hearing Jasmine describe the community it will enhance, I'm much more determined to plan a trip to San Francisco in the near future!

If you have an interest in yoga, veganism, and/or San Francisco, please watch their video and consider donating to their campaign. The project needs to be fully pledged by January 1st in order to be funded.




Note: I am not affiliated in any way with the Laughing Lotus or their kickstarter project; I'm merely spreading the word about a project I believe in and people I care about.

*Powells.com partner program link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...