Monday, October 19, 2015

NROLFW Phase 5 Week 1

Workouts

Monday: Swim 1,300 yards + run 2.15 miles (13:22 pace)

Tuesday: Run 2.5 miles (13:28 pace) + NROLFW phase 5 workout A

Wednesday: Rest day

Thursday: Ballet class (75 min)

Friday: Swim 1,400 yards + NROLFW phase 5 workout B

Saturday: Long run 5.0 miles (15:52 pace)

Sunday: Yoga class (90 min) + hike 3.25 miles

Total swimming: 2,700 yards
Total running: 9.65 miles

I'm trying to hit a variety of disciplines (for both cross training and enjoyment) since I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment. Plenty of time to fit in both weight workouts to start a new phase of New Rules, a couple swims, got back to a yoga class for the first time in forever (sadly the class that works for me is cancelled next week for for a visiting teacher's workshop, but hopefully after that I'll be it part of the routine), and continued the new routine I started last week of a hike on Sunday. 

We live reasonably close to Washington Park and Hoyt Arboretum, and if you go far enough the trails there can lead you into Forest Park. It's nothing terribly technical by any means, but it's nice forested trails, with some degree of up and down. I've lived in our current place for a year and a half, yet hardly explored this resource that's so nearby. Eventually I might pick up running there, but for now hiking seems like a nice low-impact, aerobic activity to throw in the mix.

Speaking of aerobic activity - that's what I'm trying to do with my running. While I've greatly improved my speed lately, that type of running is anaerobic. My easy pace, on the other hand, in the aerobic range, has only marginally improved throughout five of running. Granted, part of that is due to an improving understanding of what an "easy" pace really means, and how wide a spread one's paces should over the course of a week or a training cycle. 

Until I pick a new goal, I figured this would be a good chance to spend some time doing aerobic base training. I'll do some more writing about it later, but basically I got a heart rate monitor and calculated what I should running at based on the Maffetone method. My runs on Monday and Tuesday went well, the pace I could keep up in the right HR range was actually slightly faster than I expected (though I also thought my perceived effort level might also be a tad high, so perhaps the range needs to be adjusted). But then on Saturday, I struggled mightily to keep my HR low enough, and ended up with a ridiculous pace. It was a slightly hillier route, but not by that much. It was also different in being in the morning (so, colder muscles, fresher caffeine) rather than in the evening after work. I'm curious to see what my HR does this week and if that was just a fluke or what.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...