Sunday, June 8, 2014

Foot Traffic Flat Half Training Week 4

Workouts

Monday: Run 2 miles (12:38 pace) + bike 2 miles (8.4 mph)
This time I took my bike on some loops around our block, about 0.4 miles around, with some incline. There's one 30-yard or so section that feels really steep. Though looking at my Garmin data, apparently the block only has a total elevation change of 22 feet. So, it's actually just me. I'm definitely not comfortable on the bike yet, but it's noticeably less uncomfortable each time.

Tuesday: Run 1.5 miles (11:56 pace) + swim 750 yards

Wednesday: Run 3.15 miles (11:11 pace) - this was with part of my Hood to Coast team. I couldn't keep up. They went out at about a 9:30 - 9:45 pace; I ended up at 10:25 for the first mile (even caught up with the group at a stop light about half a mile in), then took a short-cut through the loop they were doing (mostly to avoid the worst hill), kept up a decent pace for the second mile, then was totally worn out and around 12:00+ for the rest. Yeah, this is why I've never joined a running group.

Thursday: Swim 750 yards + run 1 mile (11:47 pace)

Friday: Run 1 mile (13:54 pace)

Saturday: Helvetia 10k race in 1:15:20 (12:07 pace) - a new PR by 10 minutes!

Sunday: Bike 4.2 miles (9.2 mph) + run 2.3 miles (13:03 pace)

Total swimming: 1,500 yards
Total biking: 6.2 miles
Total running: 17.15 miles

3 comments:

  1. There are all sorts of running groups. The best encourage you and have a lot of different people running at different paces, some of whom are running 12- and 13-minute miles. There's no shame in a 12-minute mile. AT. ALL. Especially if you PRed your 10K. GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point - granted this wasn't necessarily a "group" that was set up to accommodate everyone, but only 6 people out of a relay team who are all training for themselves, really. I shouldn't discount running groups altogether, I'm sure most are encouraging and inclusive of everyone, especially larger groups who do have more built-in variety of paces. It's definitely hard to overcome that fear of "everyone will be faster than me", even though logically I know any good running group will help you out regardless.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. We women runners beat ourselves up much too much. Here's something to consider regarding that fear http://running.competitor.com/2014/03/training/slow-is-a-state-of-mind_70265#l8iq5HeIqTClP5Qp.01

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...