Monday, December 16, 2013

Holiday 5k

Official time: 34:40 (11:10 pace)

Last year, my friend Beth and I ran the Holiday half marathon. It was in the mid-30s, raining the entire time, and really windy. A good chunk of the course is on top of a bluff overlooking the river, so there's nothing to block the wind. It was pretty miserable. 

But - it's a well-run race with cute shirts, so we decided to do the 5k this year. It's really the best of everything - it's a smaller crowd (500-ish, compared to 2,500-ish for the half), but all the amenities (shuttle, food, etc.) of a bigger race (the 2,500 for the half). It was also a touch warmer this year (39 - 40), and didn't start drizzling until after we were done. :)

I didn't have a specific goal for this race per se - it's been a while since I've done a 5k (technically in June, but that race measured way short, so I'd count since last new year's), and obviously I've been focusing on distance over speed since then. Fortunately, I have this year's First Run coming up, so I decided to use yesterday's race as a tool to gauge where I am speed-wise, and plan on a PR at the next once. My vague goal was to hit somewhere under a 12:00 pace, ideally under 35 minutes.

My current 5k PR is 34:11 (11:00 pace), and I was surprised I came within 30 seconds of that! Now I almost wish I'd been trying to beat it. There was some bottlenecking during the first mile that couldn't be helped, but I also took a couple brief (30-seconds or so) walking breaks. It was within reach! But this did give me confidence for my goal race in a couple weeks - I don't think my 30 Before 30 goal of sub-30 is feasible yet, but I think 33 is, maybe even 32. (I did manage a 5k training run in September in under 32 - 10:10 pace - but that was just a beyond perfect run, I'm not sure I replicate that even in a race setting.)

Mile 1: 11:56
Mile 2: 11:21
Mile 3: 10:33
Mile 3.1: 0:51 (8:15 pace! it was downhill)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...