Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Bike Budget

One of my current goals is to re-learn how to swim and bike, and  do some triathlons. This requires not only some research into technique and dedicating more time to training, but also an investment in a lot more equipment than running requires. 

Well, running doesn't require much in the way of equipment, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot of optional stuff to throw money at. If I found all the transactions in my Mint activity, it looks like over the past year I've spent on running:

Races: $250
Shoes: $215
Clothes & accessories: $950

I'm grateful to have a well-paying job, but I'm not so great at budgeting, and really shouldn't be spending that kind of money willy nilly - that isn't going to help me meet other, bigger goals. 
Now that I'm adding two additional sports - ones which actually do have some need for equipment - I need to rein it in a bit. This is true for a $20 water bottle, $50 sports bra, or $100 shoes, but especially true for a $500+ bike.

I decided before buying a bike, I'll do some cycling on the stationary bike in my apartment complex's gym. Every mile biked = a dollar earned to spent on a bike and related stuff. Earned the first $6.50 towards the bike last night!

I figured I should do the same with running to keep myself on a budget. Making it retroactive to the beginning of the month, I'm already in the hole $60, since I registered for some races. Whoops. Better get some miles in...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...