Monday, October 21, 2013

Non-Beer-y Beer

Friday night we went out to dinner with a coworker of Abe's, L, and her husband J. We went to Roscoe's. It was a bit crowded, and slow - apparently there was only one guy working in the kitchen. But the mac & cheese was pretty good, and the cornbread was really good. 

They also have an extensive selection of beers, and you can get samples to try. I wasn't planning on getting one, though - I'm not a fan of beers. The only one I'd previously tried and semi-liked is McMenamins Ruby. (And I didn't completely hate a Coors light that I had once, but I'm told that's more of a water than beer.)

(Basically it needs to not taste like beer. Or alcohol. My favorite alcoholic drink is Mike's, followed by almost anything made with vodka - I waited to drink until I was 21 (I went to a dry college, so I could still rebel by drinking when it was legal but against the school rules) and then went to Russia a few months later, so that's the first hard liquor I consistently had and got used to.)

Abe, who likes most beers, picked The Commons' Myrtle, based on that fact that its hops were grown in Silverton where he lived for a year (well, I pick wines based on names and label aesthetics, so I guess that's at least as logical). He took a sip, and found it gross. L and J also tried it; one of them used the descriptor disgusting. 

So, for some reason, I decided I should give it a try, too. And it actually wasn't bad! It has a bit of a tart aftertaste that I'm not a huge fan of, but it was crisp and not overly-beer-like. Not so great that I would buy it for home, but I'd totally order it again at a restaurant.

A facebook friend commented that this indicates I might like saison/farmhouse beers, or sours. Perhaps I'll have to branch out a bit with that in mind.

 Any beer suggestions for a non-beer drinker who likes Ruby and Myrtle?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...