Friday, May 3, 2013

Running Shoes [Runner Photo Challenge]


From left to right:

Vivo Barefoot Neo: These were my very first pair of barefoot shoes. After running for about a year, I went to a running store to get fitted for a "proper" pair of running shoes (I had previously just been using cross trainers from... probably Fred Meyer). I hadn't been having any injuries or issues, just felt like it was time to be a "real" runner. 

The salesperson did a quick gait analysis - I don't recall if they said I over or underpronated, but it was just slightly in one direction or the other. However, the shoes I ended up with had an high/stiff arch that made my feet HURT! I could barely walk in them without hurting. I did some research, and came across the concept of barefoot shoes. Ultimately, I decided to order these from Vivo Barefoot, and started mixing them in on shorter runs. My calves could definitely tell the difference (there are some muscles that you just don't use when running in conventional shoes), but no more foot pain! 

I switched back to my old cross trainers for my first half marathon, as I hadn't worked up to the distance in these yet, but after the race went to running exclusively in barefoot shoes, and haven't gone back!

Vivo Barefoot Lucy Lite: As I increased my mileage and doing more half marathons, I discovered the importance of wearing running shoes 1/2 to 1 size larger than your street shoes, and ordered a new pair of Vivos.

Vibrams: I was intrigued by Vibrams as I learned more about barefoot running (when I tell anyone that I run in barefoot shoes, I have to explain that I don't mean Vibram Five Fingers), and picked these up when I happened to see them on clearance at REI. I haven't done a lot of running in them yet, but hope to do more this summer.

Vivo Barefoot Neo Trail: These are similar in most ways to the rest of my Vivos, but have more tread on the soles, and just a touch thicker. My reasons were twofold: (1) extra traction when running in the fall on wet, leave-covered sidewalks, and (2) a little extra cushioning - without losing the zero drop - for longer distance.

Somewhere along the way I also tried a pair of New Balance Minimus Zero, but something didn't feel right with them. They didn't exactly cause pain per se, but my feet and ankles felt off after running in them.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating in the Runner Photo Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting it! Such a fun idea.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...