Friday, May 3, 2013

Earth Day Run - 5 Miler

I've never actually bought photos from a race before, but I figured since Abe and I have been dating for three months and don't have any pictures together, it'd be worth the absurdly high price!

Yeah... there's a little bit of a height difference.
Photo by Evan Pilchik Photography

The Earth Day Run was at the end of April (the weekend before Earth Day, of course). It's a smaller race in the suburbs of Portland - about 500 runners combined in the 5k and 5 mile races. A good chunk of the course is actually in the parks where I do many of my long run.


Abe and I were each last in our age group (135th and 136th out of 150 overall running in the 5 mile), but we met my goal of finishing in under an hour - 58:27 (average pace of 11:41). Abe's certainly capable of doing better than that - next time we do a race together I'll encourage him to not run it with me, cause even without doing a ton of training lately (he did some triathlons a few years ago), I suspect he's a pretty natural runner. He definitely doesn't have to put out the same effort I do to go that speed!

I actually warmed up pre-race for the first time ever, at Abe's insistence. I'm not sure if it helped any, although I have noticed on my medium-distance runs that my middle miles are often the fastest (by the end I'm tired, and the beginning miles are essentially a warm up). Side note: just came across this Runner's World article with suggested warm-ups for races shorter than half marathon distance.

Mile splits
1: 11:36
2: 12:08
3: 12:02
4: 11:41
5: 11:32 (10:58 time for 0.95 of a mile per my garmin)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...