Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 Resolutions/Goals/Intentions/Projects

I'm not a huge fan of New Year's resolutions per se; I am usually working towards a goal or project of some kind (or several), but the ones I make on New Year's tend not to be the ones that get achieved.

Regardless, here are some ideas I've had lately that I might as well work on in the new year:

Volunteer at a race.

I've run 13 races over the past 2 1/2 years - it's about time I started giving back to the community. If I put it off until the end of the year I might volunteer at the Holiday Half, cause I don't plan on running it again (at least volunteering you can bundle up and maybe even hold an umbrella). Otherwise I'm not sure which race, whichever one I can talk a friend into volunteering with me!

Walk a mile every day for at least 30 days in a row.

I've been trying to walk in the mornings before work. I'm not a morning person, so running or other exercise that actually requires exertion isn't enjoyable, but a short walk is nice. I've managed it a few times in December, and it's definitely a nice start to the day.

Regularly practice yoga.

The yoga studio I really like is about 20 minutes away, so it's not feasible on week nights, but I'm going to try to go on Sundays (the Saturday class at my level is much too early in the morning). I got a head start by attending class this past weekend! There's a studio about 5 minutes away that I think the classes are just ok, but I think I'll try to go there once during the week as well. 

Run barefoot.

As in literally barefoot. Although I haven't worn conventional running shoes since May, I have yet to actually run barefoot. This will wait until it's not 38 degrees and raining, though.

Extend barefoot shoes to non-running.

Although I'm usually barefoot at home, and wear flip flops or other flats when running errands, I've always worn high heels to work (there's one day out of the past 5 1/2 years that I haven't, which was the week after one of my half marathons when I  was having some awful foot pain), because (1) heels are somehow ingrained in my definition of professional apparel for women, (2) I'm barely 5' tall so it makes me feel like I'm presenting a more professional image by making me taller than my coworkers' children, and (3) I'm barely 5' tall and overweight, so it's helped me feel better about my body image by elongating the height over which my excess weight is spread.

As I'm gradually losing weight the latter justification is diminishing, and I'm trying to adjust the other two mindsets for the sake of my body. If I really believe running barefoot is best, why subject my body to the poor alignment of raised heels when I'm not running? I'll probably continue to wear heels if meeting with a client, but that's only 5 or 10 times a year.

Got a head start on this one, too, by wearing my Merrell Wonder Gloves to work on Monday. Although I'm a devoted Vivo Barefoot fan for running shoes, I really like Merrell's casual/"life" barefoot shoes

Get back into playing  the piano.

I took lessons from second grade through high school, then didn't play much during college since it was hard to find access to a piano. I finally bought a keyboard a few years ago - not a super cheap one, but not top of the line either. However, it's short an octave, and even though I bought a damper pedal, the feel and sound just isn't the same. 

I live in a third floor apartment, so buying a real piano isn't feasible (for both transporting and volume control reasons). However, I've been looking into buying a digital piano, and I think it'll be a good compromise. They run between one to two thousand dollars. My former piano teacher recommended a Yamaha Clavinova, which appears to be on the higher end of that range. 

I have some money saved that my parents gave me from what they inherited from my paternal grandma earlier this year, and I think this will be the perfect use for it. Up until months before she died at the age of 92 she could play pieces from memory. Even when I visited her a week before she died, I played some Christmas carols for her, and although her memory was failing, music was so ingrained in her that she could still listen to my playing and attempt it herself, hitting a few wrong notes, but going back to fix them and figuring out the song by ear.

Do a pull-up.

I bought a pull-up bar several weeks ago, and discovered that I can't even do a single pull-up or chin-up. I'm working up to it with negative pull-ups and chair-assisted pull-ups.

Lose weight. 

I've lost 15 pounds from my highest ever weight; I need to lose 25 more to get to a BMI below 25 (the cutoff for being overweight). Beyond getting my BMI into the healthy range, I don't exactly have a goal weight - I'd like to wear the same size pants as I did when I graduated from high school, but I don't know that being that same weight is what I want. Although I did some weight training and occasional running at the time, I think I'm much more active now and I assume my muscle mass is different, so I'm basing my goal on size rather than weight. Plus there are so many other factors that affect the ability to maintain a certain weight (I mean, it is essentially just calories in minus calories out, but so many things outside of one's control can determine the number of calories out), so as long as I'm within a certain range, I certainly won't make myself miserable to reach a specific number.

Donate blood.

I used to be afraid of having blood drawn, so I've never donated before. Now that I've had multiple ear and cartilage piercings and had blood draws for medical labs multiple times a year for several years, I'm quite used to it. I've gone from having to look away and close my eyes, to watching with fascination as the technician input the needle the most recent time. Now it's just something I haven't gotten around to, so I need to make it a priority!

Run 1,000 miles.

Last year I ran 245 miles since I got my Garmin in June, plus I trained (poorly) for and ran a half marathon in May, plus a few treadmill runs that I didn't input into the garmin system, so let's round that up conservatively to 300.

This year I plan on better training for at least two half marathons ("better" as in my longest training run will be more than 9 miles), which should at least double my mileage, plus doing a marathon in October, so I think 1,000 miles in total is doable! (It's an average of 19.2 miles a week.)

Improve sleep hygiene.

I've been a night owl and had trouble falling asleep since before I can remember. (Apparently as a toddler my dad would take me to the basement to watch late night TV.) Even when I set times to wind down and go to bed, I end up getting busy with projects and don't stick with it. For example, when I'm trying to do meal prep for the week on Sunday, I don't even get started until 8 pm! I need to be diligent in following times to wind down, turn off electronics, and turn off the lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...