Saturday, December 26, 2015

October Recipe: Vegan Lunch Box

October's new recipe was from Vegan Lunch Box, a cookbook meant to make food for your 8-year-old. Which is perfect, since my food preferences are essentially that of an 8-year-old. (I really should try things from this book more often, as even the more adventurous recipes are kept relatively simplified.) 

Since there was phyllo dough in the freezer left over from May's recipe, I decided to try the phyllo triangles in this book, which are actually quite different than the previous one attempted. Rather than a grain/greens/nut combo, these used a tofu filling. 

To go along with it I picked a brussels sprouts preparation. Dude. I just now realized, typing this out, that it's brusselS sprouts. There's an S. It's not brussel sprouts. Am I dumb, did everyone else already know that? 

Phyllo triangles

Difficulty: 3 out of 5

Although still some assembly required, there were fewer steps to prepare the filling than the other phyllo triangles had. 

Enjoyment: 3.5 out of 5

Not fantastic, but fine. The filling was somewhat reminiscent of a tofu eggless egg scramble, due to the texture and somewhat the spices. I'd totally eat it again if someone else made it.

Likelihood to make again: 2 out of 5

It's a lot of work for something that's just ok.



Best brussels sprouts

Difficulty: 2.5 out of 5

There was sauteing, then boiling and simmering. The liquid added never quite got as syrupy as I thought it was supposed to. But all stove top in one pot, nothing too complicated.

Enjoyment: 3 out of 5

I think because something wasn't working quite right with the liquid (not turning into a syrup), they ended up just a bit soggy. The texture looked like it would end up all right after the first step, sauteing, but then the liquid was added and things just didn't quite turn out right.

Likelihood to make again: 4 out of 5

This seems like it has potential. I usually like veggies, including brusselS spouts, best when roasted, so the sauteing helps keep this in the general genre I should like. With some modifying or fixing of the liquid step, keeping it more syrup and less soggy, I think these really could be good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...