Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Toastmasters: Quote of the Day - Thanksgiving

My role for today's Toastmasters meeting was the Quote of the Day, on the theme of "Thanksgiving". 

I considered going with quotes about a more traditional Thanksgiving:
I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land. - Jon Stewart
Thanksgiving Day, a function which originated in New England two or three centuries ago when those people recognized that they really had something to be thankful for - annually, not oftener - if they had succeeded in exterminating their neighbors, the Indians, during the previous twelve months instead of getting exterminated by their neighbors, the Indians. Thanksgiving Day became a habit, for the reason that in the course of time, as the years drifted on, it was perceived that the exterminating had ceased to be mutual and was all on the white man's side, consequently on the Lord's side; hence it was proper to thank the Lord for it and extend the usual annual compliments. - Mark Twain
However, I figured in the spirit of the holiday (regardless of its origins), I should probably go a little less snarky in public, and found a regular quote that I agree with:
Not what we say about our blessings, but how we use them, is the true measure of our thanksgiving. - W. T. Purkiser

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...