Wednesday, November 26, 2014

My Thanksgiving Turkey

No, I haven't changed my mind since yesterday to eat a turkey. I "adopted" a turkey!

Meet Turpentine: 


Farm Sanctuary, a farm animal rescue and advocacy organization, is doing their annual "adopt a turkey" fundraiser. In exchange for your donation to the non-profit organization, you receive a cute certificate and photo of the turkey you choose to adopt.

Did you know [source]:

  • Researchers have identified 30 distinct vocal sounds in turkeys.
  • Turkeys recognize each other by their unique voices.
  • Turkeys form strong social bonds that can last a lifetime.
  • Turkey's heads change color depending on their mood.
  • Possessing superb geographic skills, turkeys can mentally map up to 1,000 acres.
  • More than 46 million turkeys are killed each year for Thanksgiving alone.

You know what most of those facts remind me of? My own cats, the pets that are part of my household and my family, and whom I lovingly care for and protect. They - cats and turkeys - may not be capable of human intelligence, but they are nonetheless smart, beautiful creatures who are capable of loving and being loved.

Maybe, instead of basting a turkey tomorrow, you'll consider adopting Turpentine, Gable, Anna, Tibbott, Elsa, Cecelia, or Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...