Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Introvert's Thanksgiving

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I have much to be thankful for, including a loving and supportive family, but I must say, I am thoroughly exhausted at this point, after a mere 8 hours or so in a small-ish house full of relatives. It did start out quite enjoyable, but by the end of the evening it was all I could do to keep from yelling "I don't care!" to anyone trying to show me the latest vacation book.

It actually wasn't too difficult to find my non-peopled space at family gatherings - my sister and I were both known bookworms, so curling up with a book in a corner of the living room was far from strange. Nowadays, as an adult, I think it would be a bit stranger to isolate from the group with an actual group. It does seem ok to occasionally pull out my phone, but there just wasn't much space to actually get away from the ongoing conversations even while doing so.

Fellow grown--up introverts: how do you make sure you have enough space at family events without insulting anyone?

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with this every year. I always say my favorite part of Thanksgiving is when the extended relatives live and I fix my evening plate and just sit with my parents and brother or on my own. Haha.

    We host at my childhood home, so I usually slip away and take a few short breaks in my room and no one seems to notice or miss me, haha!

    I know you like games--does that kind of organized socialization decrease your introvert burnout? I usually have the most fun at Thanksgiving (other than eating) when we're playing games because the chatting is less tough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This side of the family, my mom's, isn't as big into games as my dad's side. We did have boggle, and I think I agree that while playing that it was easier to socialize (it was also earlier in the evening), but later as some moved to watch the game and some into the kitchen, and it was just chatting that things got significantly more challenging.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...