Sunday, November 2, 2014

Family Traditions: Games

The biggest aspect of our wedding (besides the actual getting married part) - which I just now realized I barely alluded to in the recap post - was the games. There were two tables piled with games to choose from, and that's what the activity was during the reception. It was pretty awesome to see everyone get involved in some game or other!


Board/card games has been a staple of entertaining for me as an adult, but it goes back much further than that. As far as I can remember, my extended family has played games at get togethers. 

It started on my dad's side - pinochle was often played by the older generations, but everyone joined in other games. There are numerous other card games we like, and word games are also brought out a lot. Even when my grandma was approaching 90 and having memory issues, she could still kick all our asses at Scrabble. 

My mom's side didn't play games as much, but she had to learn that culture to join in the family. She's one that tends to get caught up in conversation and lose track of the game, but she's improved over time. She can be a bit of a sore winner, becoming ecstatic the few times she's won Clue! (We all have pretty complex note-taking systems for that one.)

My sister and I have tried to expand the game playing, and it's now tradition on our mom's side to play Boggle - particularly at Thanksgiving, though other games have had a harder time taking hold. 

Fortunately, Abe is well on board for continuing the tradition with our family. :) He also has a pinochle custom in his family, but we're working on introducing other games as well. I hope sitting around the dining room table playing Trivial Pursuit with our children will be a happy memory to come in the future as it has been in our past.

3 comments:

  1. I love playing games with friends, and my boyfriend's family plays games all the time, but my family is not into it. I have tried so many times to get games going, and they just don't take. I think it's a great tradition, and I loved your board game wedding reception. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a slow process with my mom's family, now I'm just happy we at least have one game everyone seems to enjoy. :)

      Delete
    2. PS I've been enjoying reading your blog, but I'm tumblr-illiterate so I don't know how to comment or share or reblog whatever it is you do on tumblr, so figured I'd let you know here. :)

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...