Monday, May 26, 2014

Foot Traffic Flat Half Training Week 2

Workouts

Monday AM: Bike trainer 20 minutes (est. 3.3 miles)
Monday PM: Swim 500 yards + run 1.54 miles (11:55 pace)

Tuesday: Run 4 miles (13:05 pace)

Wednesday: Swim 500 yards

Thursday: Run 4 miles (12:12 pace) - interval/hill run - 0.5 warm-up and cool-down, 0.5 uphill (x 3) + 0.5 downhill (to get home), with 0.25 recovery in between.

Saturday: Run 8 miles (13:27 pace) - not the easiest route (middle 2 miles were on hilly dirt trails), and I felt a bit sluggish, but hey, got in the miles!

Sunday: Bike 2.5 miles (est. 5 mph) This was not a fun bike ride. It was out and back (should have been about 2 miles each way), and not quite to the intended turnaround point, it started raining. The back portion was also almost all downhill. I'm basically literally afraid of killing myself going downhill at all; add in wet roads and I just walked my bike most of the way home. 

Total swimming: 1,000 yards <-- Check that out! Swimming!
Total biking: 5.8 miles
Total running: 17.54 miles

I really thought that swimming would be the most anxiety-provoking of triathlon sports (and it still might be once I get to trying open water), but I'm actually fairly comfortable in the pool! I mean, of course I still have a long ways to go as far as building endurance and improving my speed, but it's fun!

Biking on the other hand, is terrifying. I'm not sure if there's an issue with how my bike fits (especially in regards to being able to grip the brake levers), or I'm just not used to how to maneuver, but I don't feel in control of the bike at all. Going downhill or even more than 6 mph or so is terrifying, I don't feel like I'm capable of promptly stopping if needed. 

Any advice for a newbie biker to feel more confident and in control?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...