Wednesday, February 5, 2014

WIAW: Forming New Habits


I'm trying to both lose weight and eat healthier. I sometimes calorie count (pegatha47 on MFP), but mostly right now I'm focusing on eating sufficient protein (minimum of 55.5 grams - 0.8 grams per kg - based on my weight, but should probably aim for more like 70 grams - 1.0 grams per kg - considering that I'm moderately active) and a minimum of 5 fruits and veggies per day.



Breakfast
Smoothie - 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, 1 banana, 3/4 cup mixed frozen berries, 1 1/2 Tbsp peanut butter, 1 1/2 Tbsp ground flax seed, 3/4 cup water
Hi-Ball energy drink - it's sparkling water with flavor, caffeine, and some vitamins. 

Although it takes a couple more minutes in the morning (and looks a little gross from the oxidized banana by the time I get to work and actually eat it), I love that having a smoothie for breakfast automatically gets half of my fruits and veggies in for the day first thing.

Protein grams: 10
Produce count: 3

Lunch
Near East roasted garlic and olive oil pasta with tomatoes and spinach
Salad of romaine lettuce, tomatoes, pomegranate arils, and half a green pepper

I could probably just make noodles and add olive oil and some spices to get the same result, but the Near East pasta mix is fantastic. I've been experimenting with adding things: tomatoes obviously go well, and this week I added spinach, too, since I have it on hand for smoothies. To bump up the protein, I bet baked tofu marinated in Italian dressing would mesh with it.

Protein grams: 11
Produce count: 3

Snacks
Chocolate covered almonds (from Costco) - x2, because a serving is only 11 almonds! That's crazy, and not nearly enough chocolate in one serving.

String cheese, apple, pomegranate green tea
 
Protein grams: 13
Produce count: 1

Dinner

Amy's 4-cheese pizza, the other half of the green pepper, rolos

Protein grams: 20
Produce count: 1

Total

Protein grams: 54 - Barely an acceptable amount. I definitely could have added protein to lunch by including tofu or beans in the pasta dish. I've tried to think of a way to increase the protein in my smoothie without using a protein powder, but I'm not sure how beyond just adding more peanut butter. 

Produce count: 8 - Wow! I assure you, this isn't typical. It's the ideal I'm striving for, but it does take some effort and planning, and definitely doesn't happen every day.

Anyone have a great protein smoothie recipe sans protein powder? 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you count protein/anything else. That kind of stuff makes me craaaaazy, but I know so many people who are in awesome shape and one of the things they focus on is protein, sugar, blah blah. I wish I had all of that chocolate in my mouth right now.

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!