Saturday, February 8, 2014

Snow Day!

We've had a bit of snow here this weekend! Granted, it's nothing like other parts of the country have experienced, but it's a ton for us - I'd guesstimate 8 - 10 inches are outside my door at the moment. The last time we had anything like this was in 2008, when we had a few feet. Normally, even a dusting of snow that stays around for 24 hours is a rare occurrence. 

The snow started falling mid-day Thursday; I was nervous about driving home from work on the packed snow, but it wasn't too bad. Friday heading into work was also fine, but I got nervous when the snow started up again and ended up leaving around 3 (only about half the office was even there, and many of them left around noon). There was enough traffic on the freeway to have some bare spots and a lot of slush, but it was still pretty covered and slow-going.

I was even planning to go into work Saturday morning. The traffic cams showed I-5 with more accumulation though (and less traffic around to melt it), so I was a bit nervous (I just don't have the skills/experience to trust myself in very severe snow conditions). Then I went out to my car to leave - and there was at least 6 inches on it since the prior afternoon. Sweeping it off, I discovered a thick layer of ice underneath. Taking into account the snow drifts surrounding... I decided, never mind! I'm hoping that the rising temperatures tomorrow will create mere slush that will be safer and I can go in tomorrow for a while, but if not I'll just have extra long days next week to make up for it.


I did get out of the house for a bit though - we walked to Fred Meyer (about 3/4 of a mile away). Wasn't out of food entirely, but I needed to do some grocery shopping today or tomorrow, and had more time today. A bit chilly, of course, especially on the way back when the wind had started back up, but a fun adventure nonetheless! 

(The walk also gave me a chance to see I-5 in person (the route to the store went over an overpass) - and it was much more covered than the previous day, so I'm glad I didn't end up driving on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...