Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Running Gear: Clothing


Summer

Being 25+ pounds overweight during my entire running career, loose shorts are impractical (the moving fabric facilitates chafing) and tight shorts make me feel self-conscious. The solution for hot days? Running skirts! They have tight/compression shorts underneath, and a looser skirt on top to hide said compression shorts. It is an extra layer of fabric, but overall I've found it to be a comfortable option for all but the most extreme summer heat.

My favorite running skirts are the Lucy Endurance (the overlapping front/back instead of a continuous skirt makes sure it doesn't inhibit movement) and the Brooks PR Mesh Skort II (the gripping on the shorts hem prevents them from riding up, but it lacks a drawstring for a well-fitting waistband).

I don't really have a standard running tank top. The one pictured above is a North Face tank I got at REI. I also have some by Lucy, Patagonia, Brooks. As long as it's tech fabric, it works.

Fall & Spring

I do have a standard t-shirt: Target C9 by Champion. Less than $10 and ridiculously comfy. Depending on how chilly it is, I often start a run wearing arm-warmers (they're from Brooks last year but I can't find them on the website now).

On the bottom for in-between weather, I have a couple pairs of Lucy Endurance capris. They're tight without being overly-compressiony, and have a drawstring in the waistband for the perfect fit. There's also a zippered pocket on the back of the waistband (the above mentioned skirts have this as well) to hold a house key or pack of ShotBloks.

Winter

(The sparkle skirt isn't typical winter running attire - this pic was before a New Year's run at midnight last year.)

By about 45 degrees I'll add gloves and a headband to keep my ears warm. 

I'd say it has to drop to below 40 degrees for me consider it "cold" running-wise (since your body temp goes up once you get going), but at that point I do put on layers - a short-sleeve shirt and a long-sleeve shirt or jacket with thumbholes.

By 35 degrees, I need long pants on the bottom. I'm uncomfortable with the typical "running tights" that are compression and taper to your ankle; so far I've just gone with basic tech-fabric yoga-type pants (also Target C9 by Champion). It lacks the zippered pocket, but works just fine otherwise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...