Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Modified Accomplishments

NaBloPoMo prompt: What accomplishment are you most proud of?

Thinking about the various things that I could consider accomplishments, I immediately starting downplaying them, in various ways.

I ran a full marathon! But I didn't do everything the training plan said, and ran the long runs at too slow a pace for my goal time. If I'd trained better, I could have had a much better time.

I completed a masters' degree! But I took time off for stupid (to me, now) reasons, and it took me five and a half years. If I'd stuck to the original plan, I could have finished it two years earlier.

I got promoted to manager! But it took a year longer than I originally intended, and partly because I started reduced hours to deal with other things. If I managed to work 40 hours like everyone else, I could have been promoted earlier.

But, on the other hand, does that make it more of an accomplishment? Does it matter if the factors that led to committing less to it were all or partly under my control? They were still factors that made the journey more difficult, yet ultimately I still accomplished the final goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...