Friday, October 11, 2013

Marathon Training Recap

So, as you know, I finished, but failed to meet my time goal at the Portland Marathon. Although I don't regret the attempt, I think I was rather overly optimistic about my abilities - for the race itself and training - compared to where I was before beginning the training plan. There were a couple weeks where the heat made things difficult, and a couple times when I prioritized traveling and spending time with Abe. I know a training plan generally has room built in to not necessarily accomplish 100% of the workouts and still succeed, but I don't know if I committed to it quite enough.


Although I don't want to devote the time to training next summer for a re-do (Abe and I are thinking we'll volunteer at next year's Portland Marathon instead) (a fall marathon with summer training is really my only option, due to my work schedule), but I think two years from now might be the time (though I will definitely do more half marathons, and maybe a 30k before then). I'm past the immediate aftermath of "I'm never running again", and looking forward to the opportunity to redeem myself by meeting my original goal (or maybe even a better goal!).

Next time I train for a marathon:

  • I will have a better base of weekly mileage. Prior to this training cycle I only averaged about 15 miles a week. I think being able to consistently hit 20 - 25 miles while not training for anything would make it much easier to manage the mileage required for solid marathon training.
  • I will have a better base of long runs - be able to comfortably (with consistent paces throughout - no slowing down the last few miles) do 10 - 12 miles at 60 - 90 seconds slower than goal pace. Even though I'd done multiple half marathons, I wasn't in the habit of doing double digits runs as part of half marathon training. 
  • Be faster at moderate distance runs. Although I had been making great improvements in my speed at 1 mile and 5k paces, I was still pretty slow at long runs before starting training. My half marathon PR pace was slightly slower than my goal pace for the marathon - that probably should have been my first clue that I was being delusional. I thought that increasing my distance would help my speed - and it did - but not enough.

Any other suggestions? What do you think indicates someone is ready for marathon training?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...