Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Just What I Needed

I finally went back to yoga class tonight! Other than a class at Laughing Lotus when Abe and I were in San Francisco back in July, it's probably been.... four months? Yikes, now that I think about it, it may have been when Jasmine was in Portland at the end of April. 

There's a yoga studio within ten minutes of my apartment (even closer to work), but, it just doesn't feel quite right. The studio I like (and the vast majority of yoga studios in Portland, actually) is on the other side of the metro area, and especially when I was working on my degree, it seemed like too much of a time commitment to get over there during the week, and it took away from long run time during the weekends. 

Finally, I decided it was about making the time, not finding the time, and signed up for a class at the farther away one. And I'm very glad I did. It was like the class was designed just for me.

The teacher's opening spiel was about discipline - both finding the discipline to do the work you need to do, and the discipline to acknowledge your limitations. Although I've been pretty determined lately as far as running, it's been more difficult focusing and applying discipline at work and at home with chores; I do have a tendency to obsess over one thing at a time, letting other important things fall by the wayside.

We then did a lot of hip opening poses and leg stretches - I knew it was headed in a great direction when the very first pose we did was the stretch where you lie your back, cross one foot over the other knee, and put your hands through and pull on the bottom leg.

During savasana, the teacher read a poem that really spoke to me: 

Cast All Your Votes for Dancing - by Hafiz

I know the voice of depression still calls to you.
I know those habits that can ruin your life still send their invitations.
But you are with the friend now, and look so much stronger.
You can stay that way and even bloom!

Keep squeezing drops of the sun

From your prayers and work and music
and from your companions' beautiful laughter.

Keep squeezing drops of the sun

From the sacred hands and glance of your beloved 
And, my dear, from the most insignificant movements
Of your own holy body.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...