Wednesday, June 26, 2013

WIAW: Long Run Day

Here's what I ate last Sunday, which started with a 14 mile run (just over 3 hours).


Pre-run breakfast: Telera roll with Happy Cow cheese, HiBall energy drink
Running fuel: Water in my hydration vest, caffeinated ShotBloks, Honey Stinger chews
Post-run: Coco Hydro (dehydrated/powdered flavored coconut water - cheaper and less packaging than regular coconut water), banana - I'm still getting used to the flavor of coconut water, but it's growing on me!
Lunch: Papa Murphy's pizza, carrots, Odwalla juice

After recently sending Abe to pick up pizza for dinner without explicit enough instructions, I realized this is a pretty good veggie combo - spinach, tomatoes, and pineapple (previously just pineapple was my go-to). 

I've generally been trying to avoid drinking calories - healthy beverage or not - but also started liking these types of juices, so have started routinely having them as a treat/re-fueling on long run days.
Snack: Otter Pops! HFCS may be the second ingredient, but they're only 15 calories each and delicious on a summary day.

Dinner: Near East roasted garlic and olive oil pasta with tomatoes and zucchini sauteed in olive oil, string cheese
Dessert: Ice cream - Why does Breyers label this as "Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry" instead of neapolitan? 

This probably seems like a lot of food - it is a lot of calories for me (about 2,400), but I burned about 1,400 running! I've only recently started trying to calorie count, and I'm definitely not disciplined about it so I can't really talk about what I "usually" do, but in theory I'm trying to set a base calorie amount that assumes a moderate amount (30 - 40 minutes) of daily exercise that will facilitate a pound or so of weight loss per week, and when I exercise longer than that eat back about half of the calories burned. With that plan, I still went over a little (still experimenting with that base amount, but it should probably be in the 1,400 - 1,500 range, which means I replaced about 2/3 of the calories from the long run), but not horribly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...