Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Les Miserables Sing Along

Although I politely refrained from subjecting a theater full of strangers from my singing when I first saw the newest version of Les Miserables, I knew I had to host a sing along party once it came out on DVD. (I then also had to wait until the end of tax season - but hosting guests was a great motivation to clean up the hazardous black hole that my apartment turns into by April 15.)

A quick trip to Goodwill provided some basic decor to set the scene: a red tablecloth and silver candlesticks. For food I went with more generally French-inspired, since the movie itself really only provides for bread and wine as refreshments.


Menu:
  • Wine
  • French toast casserole (from this recipe), with maple syrup
  • Potatoes Dauphinoise (a vegan version that I was introduced to as Thousand Layer Potatoes - recipe below)
  • Quiche - from Whole Foods freezer section
  • Crackers and baguette slices with rosemary olive oil, Bonne Maman French preserves, and spreadable Brie cheese
  • Swiss, cheddar, and smoked mozzarella cheese pieces
  • Fruit - blackberries, strawberries, and grapes
  • Veggies - rainbow carrots, grape tomatoes, and bell pepper
  • "Red and Black" dessert - angel food cake dyed red(ish) and brownies
  • My friends brought candy and French cookies

Thousand Layer Potatoes
Adapted from recipe by Chef Hugo Gutierrez at Haramara Retreat, Sayulita, Mexico

4 - 5 medium potatoes
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp Thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Peel potatoes and thinly slice using a mandoline, then layer in a casserole dish.

Combine the rest of ingredients, then pour over potatoes. 

Bake until potatoes are soft, about 40 - 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...