A quick trip to Goodwill provided some basic decor to set the scene: a red tablecloth and silver candlesticks. For food I went with more generally French-inspired, since the movie itself really only provides for bread and wine as refreshments.
- French toast casserole (from this recipe), with maple syrup
- Potatoes Dauphinoise (a vegan version that I was introduced to as Thousand Layer Potatoes - recipe below)
- Quiche - from Whole Foods freezer section
- Crackers and baguette slices with rosemary olive oil, Bonne Maman French preserves, and spreadable Brie cheese
- Swiss, cheddar, and smoked mozzarella cheese pieces
- Fruit - blackberries, strawberries, and grapes
- Veggies - rainbow carrots, grape tomatoes, and bell pepper
- "Red and Black" dessert - angel food cake dyed red(ish) and brownies
- My friends brought candy and French cookies
Thousand Layer Potatoes
Adapted from recipe by Chef Hugo Gutierrez at Haramara Retreat, Sayulita, Mexico
4 - 5 medium potatoes
1 can coconut milk
1 1/2 Tbsp Thyme
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel potatoes and thinly slice using a mandoline, then layer in a casserole dish.
Combine the rest of ingredients, then pour over potatoes.
Bake until potatoes are soft, about 40 - 50 minutes.