Monday, October 22, 2012

Holiday Half Training: Week 6 Recap

Workouts

Monday: Stationary biked 6 miles (18 mph) - since fall (aka rain) has arrived, I was going to do a short speed workout on the treadmill at my apartment complex's fitness center (pretty decent fitness center as far as apartments go - two treadmills, a bike, three elliptical-type machines, and a few weight machines), but I got there and both treadmills were out of order, so I used the bike instead.

Tuesday: 2.0 mile run (11:17 pace!!! I did the first half mile in 5:01!) + circuit training (2 times thru)

Wednesday: 3.3 mile run (11:51 pace!!!)

Thursday: Donna Richardson 3 Day Rotation dance workout - it's only 20 minutes and not very intense, but I still managed to do something after getting home from bowling!

Friday: Treadmill speed interval training - total 1.55 miles in 20 minutes. 

Speed intervals:
  3 min warmup @ 3.0 (20:00 pace)
  2 min @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
  2 min @ 6.0 (10:00 pace)
  2 min @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
  2 min @ 6.0 (10:00 pace)
  2 min @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
  2 min @ 6.0 (10:00 pace)
  2 min @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
  3 min cooldown @ 3.0 (20:00 pace)

Saturday: 3.1 mile run (12:38 pace) 

Sunday: 8.25 mile run (13:23 pace)

Total miles: 18.2

Note to self: Running 8 miles and then going to a concert with no seating and standing for 3 1/2 hours isn't a particularly good idea (but worth it to see Motion City Soundtrack!). My feet hurt! My feet hurt disproportionately more after this week's 8 miles than they did after last week's 7 miles. I did feel a lot more tired and sluggish during the run, especially miles 6 - 7, so I'm thinking perhaps my form deteriorated, causing more impact in the wrong places?

After Saturday's run, I feel like a hardcore Oregonian runner! I was going to do 4 miles (mapped out a new route, based on my usual 3-mile loop, with an interior loop added on for the extra mile), but a half mile in it started raining - not super heavy rain, but much more than a drizzle. So instead of a loop I decided to do an out-and-back, ended up turning around at 1.25, then when I was a half mile from home the rain stopped, so I added a loop around a park to come up to a total of 3.1 miles. I started researching rain jackets, and realized that anything rainproof will also be sweatproof, and thus uncomfortable; all the advice I found said to just dress to stay warm, and know that you'll get wet. I am going to look into getting a hat or visor though; I wear glasses, and after a few minutes of moderately heavy rain, that made it impossible to see. (Benefit of being female: it's easy to carry things by stashing them in your sports bra.)

On both Saturday and Sunday's runs, with the temps in the low-50s, I appreciated my new Brooks arm warmers - very cozy, and easy to tuck into my waistband when I'd sufficiently warmed up and taken them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...