Sunday, September 30, 2012

Holiday Half Training: Week 3 Recap

Workouts

Monday: 3.0 mile run (12:48 pace) + SYTYCD Get Fit - Tone and Groove hip hop routine

Tuesday: Ripped in 30 Week 3 workout - Damn! Jillian sure picked up the pace with week 3. Some crazy moves!

Wednesday: SYTYCD Get Fit - Tone and Groove jazz routine + 3.15 mile run (12:14 pace!) - Ran a mostly flat route (my usual route has quite a hill in it), and only walked for 0.05 in the middle, and paused briefly a few times at stoplights.

Thursday: Donna Richard 3 Day Rotation kickboxing workout + short treadmill speed interval training - total 1.05 miles in 12 minutes

Speed intervals (plus 0.25 mile additional warm-up and cool-down walking to/from the fitness center, otherwise I would have walked a couple minutes on the treadmill to start and end):
   2 min warm-up @ 4.6 mph (13:02 pace)
   1 min interval @ 6.2 mph (9:40 pace)
   1 min recovery @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
   1 min interval @ 6.3 mph (9:31 pace)
   1 min recovery @ 5.0 (12:00 pace)
   1 min interval @ 6.4 mph (9:22 pace)
   1 min recovery @ 5.0 mph (12:00 pace)
   1 min interval @ 6.5 mph (9:13 pace)
   1 min recovery @ 5.0 mph (12:00 pace)
   2 min cool-down @ 4.6 mph (13:02 pace)

Friday: rest day... I watched a couple episodes of the Biggest Loser, does that count as exercise?

Saturday: 5k Color Run! It took 50 minutes, although I only stopped to walk when the crowd made it impossible to run - which was for a good 2 or 3 minutes at each of the four color stations.

Sunday: 4.2 mile run (13:47 pace) + Ripped in 30 Week 3 workout

Total miles: 14.5

My long run on Sunday was scheduled to be 5 miles, but I just wasn't feeling it - I had an early lunch with a friend, so not enough time to do it beforehand, and by the time I waited for my stomach to settle after, it had gotten pretty warm out (75 or so), and when I reached the intersection where'd I have to turn to cut it short, I was also almost out of water in my handheld bottle. Plus, I realized how quickly I've been increasing my weekly mileage totals - week 2 was 31% more than week 1, and this week was 25% more than week 2, even with the reduced long run.

"They" say you should increase weekly mileage by no more than 10% each week, to minimize risk of injury. The only semi-injury I've had in my running career thus far is pain in my feet - particularly after my second half marathon, when I was still getting used to long distances in minimalist shoes. It's been recurring over the last few weeks as I've upped my miles, so I'm trying to be conscious of that and not do too much too fast. My goal is to be able to run a few miles the day after the half marathon, comfortably and pain-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...