Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Best Body Bootcamp: Weeks 6 & 7 Recap

Week 6 workouts

I did one BBB strength training workout, and a 2.65 mile run.

Week 7 workouts

I did one BBB strength training workout, a 10k race (finished in 1:25:56), and a Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 workout.

Although I'm glad I'm doing the bootcamp program for some extra motivation, I realized it's simply not working for me to do the BBB strength training workouts - getting three new workouts every other week would be great if I were in a place where the variety would be motivating - but right now it's a hurdle, since the first week of each two-week phase takes longer to look up and learn new exercises, and even just having the workout on paper versus on video makes it harder to have to look up the routine in between sets. So on Sunday I started week 1 of the Ripped in 30 program (via GaiamTV) - right now I need the constant directions during the workout to overcome laziness. I also realized that I like Jillian - I've never really watched Biggest Loser, I just know of her from pop culture, so I wasn't sure I'd jive with her style, but I actually do find it motivating. It's no-nonsense and practical, yet encouraging.

This weekend I also, finally, put together a training program for the Holiday Half that I'm doing in December. Well, a quasi-program - I'm not mapping out every running workout, just scheduling the distance for each week's long run. It was a little difficult to plan out, due to the timing of Thanksgiving, immediately followed by a week-long vegan yoga retreat (which I also did last year, and it's an amazing experience, I highly recommend it if you're intrigued by yoga and/or  veganism), and then the race is just two weeks after that. In addition to a long run each weekend, I'll do at least 2, ideally 3, runs during the week, including a mix of speed-work. Within a few weeks I hope to be running at least 12 - 15 miles a week.

I was motivated for both starting the Ripped in 30 and to get going on my training plan after running the 10k Sunday with my friend Beth. We've previously run a 5k and a half marathon together - so she realized how much I was struggling during the 10k, and was surprised how much I needed her to keep me going, versus me helping keep her going in prior races. Her comments pointed out that she's seen me perform at a much higher level, and basically wiped out my excuse that I was doing the best I could lately with my exercising. Yes, you won't always out-perform yourself and PR at every race, and life circumstances will temporarily get in the way sometimes, but I've been using my current depression and sleep issues to avoid exercising, and feel like there wasn't much point in trying to improve, and not wanting to admit that I've taken a step backward. Realizing that I not only can, but have, done better, is helpful to push myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...