Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday Five: Running Books on My To-Read List

Linking up today with MarCynthia, and Courtney for Friday Five.

Despite the fact that I've been running (to varying degrees) for over five years now, I've hardly read any books about it! I've gotten lots of information online, through blogs, etc., but have done fairly little in depth studying/research through books. Reading the Hansons Marathon Method in preparing for my last marathon, and Born to Run more recently are some of the few exceptions. But I want to read more! Here's some of the running-related items on my Goodreads list. These ones are mostly memoir-type books, explaining the journey that an athlete has taken, generally including both life experience and tips for others following in their footsteps.

Any other great running books you recommend I put on my to-read list?

1. Marathon Woman: Running the Race to Revolutionize Women's Sports, by Katherine Switzer

The woman famous for breaking the barrier for women to run in the Boston Marathon tells the story of that achievement. 

2. Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness, by Scott Jurek

The vegan ultrarunner talks about his life, giving advice and inspiration. 

3. What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, by Haruki Murakami

A memoir reflecting on the interaction of running and life. 

4. A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey, by Chrissie Wellington

The story of rising to a win at the Ironman World Championships.

5. The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance, by David Epstein

So how did the athletes in the other books above reach their peak? Hard work, or are they just lucky with innate talent? This book explores that.



2 comments:

  1. I highly highly recommend "The Sports Gene." It's scientific, but super interesting and entertaining. The Murakami book is interesting, but kind of rambling. Short, though!

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...