Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday Five: Benefits of Cross-Training

Linking up today with MarCynthia, and Courtney for Friday Five.


A couple weeks ago I talked about weight lifting, but I also think it's important to do other kinds of cross training - even though we love running, there are benefits to be derived from branching out into other activities (aka doing a triathlon). Here are some of my top reasons for doing cross training for even cardio, instead of just running.

1. You can get some impressive weekly mileage by including biking. Check this out - I'd never get to 65 miles on running alone! (And I'm not even doing anything like training for the 112-mile bike leg of an Ironman...) If you've ever thought you didn't want to take up biking, perhaps this can convince you otherwise. (Swimming, on the other hand, will have the opposite effect - I'm currently working to build back up to an entire mile in a single swim session.)



2. It helps you mix up your tan lines. You get the short shorts and racer back from running, the longer shorts and farmers tan on your arms from biking, and then put on a swimsuit to reveal it all! 

3. You can hurt in different parts of your body. Calves tight from running? Not to fear, spend today making your quads sore with biking instead! 

4. You get more options for not wearing underwear. It starts with bike shorts - everyone knows you don't wear underwear with bike shorts, that's the whole point. Then you add in a swimsuit. Eventually, you become ok going commando in your running shorts (fine, I guess I knew that's why that panty thingie is part of them anyway). And then, just for good measure, the next term I take ballet class I plan to actually buy the real gear and do it in tights and a leotard.

5. On the (hopefully rare) occasions when you just don't feel like running, you still have something to do to find some endorphins. If pounding the pavement doesn't sound good, maybe a relaxing swim or fast-paced pedaling will be exactly what you need. 


3 comments:

  1. All I have right now is cross training. I am trying to love it, I really am, but I still miss running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel like I cross train enough. I do teach a body pump class and spin class at the gym but on days I don't run I don't feel like I do enough. But technically that is cross training so maybe I am doing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cross training - and spinning is probably my new favorite activity.

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...