Tuesday, November 24, 2015

August PDX Restaurant: The Whole Bowl

August's restaurant (and our lunch after the Underground Tour) was actually a food cart, The Whole Bowl. They have multiple locations, but we went to the downtown spot, where it's part of a whole block of food carts, between 9th and 10th and Alder and Washington.

Website

Genre: Bowls

Price: $5.50 (small), $6.00 (large)

Setting: Food cart

What we tried: The only thing they have, of course! I got the small and Abe got the large. 

The bowl is a rice/beans dish, along the lines of Cafe Yumm's main product. Though fully customizable, by default it contains rice, beans, avocado, salsa, olives, sour cream, cheddar, cilantro, and a special sauce. It's all vegetarian, and can be made vegan depending on what you leave off. 


I got mine without avocado or sour cream, because those things are gross, but kept everything else (so I supposed I cheated for purposes of this project, it wasn't fully vegan - but you can get it vegan!). Abe got everything on his.

Overall impression

It's fine. It's not really particularly unique - Cafe Yumm and plenty of other restaurants have a similar bowl, either as a primary or one of their options. The sauce is good, but also something along the same lines as other places have. But if you're looking for something at the food carts, it's certainly a healthy, tasty, and veganizable option. 

For this particular location, the food cart block doesn't have much seating, so the best bet for eating is probably what we did, going kitty-corner to O'Bryant Square. 

Would I take my parents?*: Probably not. My mom might like it, but I don't think my dad would care for it at all.

*Scale: Heck no. No. Probably not. Maybe. Eh, yeah. Yes. Definitely. 

Bonus: After lunch, since we'd taken the MAX into downtown, we realized we were walking near Blue Star Donuts, so decided to pop in to try a couple. If you're in downtown and wanting the Portland donut experience, I'd probably recommend this over Voodoo (while Voodoo donuts are very good, they're not worth the line that's at the main location 24/7 - I went there once as part of a bachelorette party, and we were in line for like an hour at 2 am; but I'd recommend over either, the NE Voodoo locations, as I think I like their donuts better but there's rarely a significant line there (from my experience and what I've heard)). 

Blue Star is a more artisan vibe, while Voodoo is a more hipster vibe, and I think that's reflected in their taste, if that makes any sense. Voodoo tastes more like junk food than a treat, which is proper, I believe, in a donut.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...