Sunday, April 12, 2015

Bloomsday Training-ish Week 1

Workouts

Monday: Easy run 1.2 miles (13:36 pace) - Needed a run for sanity after a very long day, but my legs weren't up for much.

Tuesday: Easy run 2.6 miles (12:47 pace) - Feeling pretty much back to normal now.

Wednesday: Easy run 1.5 miles (13:11 pace)

Friday: Mini tempo run 1.15 miles (9:51 pace)

Sunday: Long run 6.5 miles (13:07 pace)

Total running: 12.95 miles

Well, I don't want to speak too soon, but I think I'll survive tax season! Went over 70 hours this week, so the running I got in was mostly just 20-minute jaunts to run off the excess adrenaline and caffeine at the end of long days.

Next race on the agenda is Bloomsday, a 12k race in Spokane. (2014 and 2013 recaps.) Since it's less than a month after tax season, I'm usually coming off a time of running 8 miles in a week, rather than 8 mile long runs, so it's far from a speedy race for me. This tax season, of course, I trained for and ran a half marathon PR, so I'd better freaking be able to PR at Bloomsday this year - my best Bloomsday pace is almost a minute slower mile than the half I just did!

Based on my recent half PR, McMillan says I should be capable of a 12k (7.46 miles) at 11:19 pace; based on my recent 5k PR, at a 10:32 pace. Those wouldn't take into account the difficulty of the course, of course - this race has a segment called "Doomsday hill". Based on what I know of the race, my history with it, and perhaps overly optimistically about my current fitness, I think an 11:00 - 11:30 pace might be feasible. Perhaps go out at 11:00 - 11:15, and hope that retains enough to make it up the hill slowly down to only a 12:00 or so, and still average out under 11:30. 

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to run Bloomsday! My boyfriend's parents live in Spokane so we are there all the time during the holidays, but never around the time of the race. I really want to do it sometime

    Good luck with your training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      It really is a fun race, and ridiculously well organized considering how huge it is. You should definitely try to make it happen at some point!

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...