Tuesday, February 3, 2015

January PDX Veg Restaurant: Petunia's

After the stair climb race, we used a cool-down walk to head over to Petunia's Pies and Pastries for January's vegan restaurant, while we were already downtown. It's actually not only all vegan, but also gluten-free. 

I had never heard of Petunia's until we got a gift card for there for our wedding, so we finally got around to using that. And fortunately we had a few dollars left on the gift card, so we'll have to come back.

Website

Genre: Bakery items and pastries, cafe and comfort food entrees

Price: $2.25 (many drinks)/$2.75 (cookies) to $9.50 (some entrees). Most treats $3.75 and most entrees $7 - $8.

Setting: Cutesy, vintagey bakery. Lots of pink and white, and the employees wear vintage-style smocks.

What we tried

We started with a shared dessert, while our entrees were being prepared. Abe asked what their most popular item was, and they said the salted caramel cookie bar. I can see why this is popular, it's definitely rich and delicious!  I'm not always a fan of salted caramel - the salted can be too strong, but not in this case. I'm also not always a fan of sharing a dessert, but this was sufficiently decadent to not mind too much that I only got half.



And then for actual lunch Abe had the Porky's veggie BBQ bowl and I got the Belgian waffle. The bowl was ok (though not my favorite kind of dish, personally), and also a little spicy. Even Abe found it spicy, so it really was. Waffles were great, as just about any waffles are, but really great in that I didn't notice any gluten-free tells. If anything, they seemed slightly like whole-wheat based waffles might be, but still nice and fluffy.



Overall impression: I'm pretty astonished at these items being vegan and gluten-free! Had I not known, I never would have guessed. They also did a nice job with presentation, fitting in with the overall vibe of the place. The entrees (well, his, and they clearly held off on mine to serve them together) took a little while, but I think they were worth it. I found it slightly odd that they served three fourths of a waffle, surely that's not the actual shape of the waffle iron? But I didn't even finish the three sections as it was, so oh well.

Absolutely not a question that we'll be going back! I especially want to try more of the baked goods. 

Would I take my parents?*: Definitely! And in-laws, particularly Abe's dad and his girlfriend, as she's gluten-free. For being vegan, the entrees don't seem overly weird, as they sometimes can. I could see my parents enjoying lunch here, plus anyone would love the desserts.

*Scale: Heck no. No. Probably not. Maybe. Eh, yeah. Yes. Definitely. 

2 comments:

  1. Salt and Straw's vegan ice cream is made with those salted caramel bars! It's sooo good! I like Petunias. Haven't eaten a meal there, just treats. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, that bar in ice cream sounds good, I'll have to check that out.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...