Friday, February 28, 2014

Photo an Hour: Tax Season

I've been seeing these "photo an hour"-style day in the life posts making the rounds a lot lately, and enjoy reading them, so thought I'd join in (and combine it with a WIAW to be linked up next week). This is life during tax season - when I eat all three meals a day at my desk, and mostly just go home on weekdays to sleep, shower, and change clothes.



7 am: My alarm first goes off at 6:30 and I hit snooze a couple times, but am up and on my bike for a 20 minute ride by 7:00. 

8 am: Almost ready to leave. Feel like a bit of a bag lady with my running clothes and food for the day. I end up walking out the door about 8:15, and arrive at work at 8:30.

9 am: Checking emails, figuring out my priorities for the day. Finishing breakfast - my usual smoothie with spinach, banana, berries, peanut butter, flax seed.

Breakfast: 10 grams of protein, 3 fruits/veggies

10 am: Reviewing a return for an LLC that includes California. California's tax laws are obnoxious. You know how they basically think they're their own country, putting labels on products about the risk of cancer known to the state of California? Yeah, their tax rules are basically like that, too. 



11 am: Am informed that one of my returns that was in process of preparation by one person is being switched to someone else with more available time to finish. Take a break from reviewing the CA return to write an email to the new preparer explaining some issues.

Noon: Have a discussion with the a principal (level above me as a manager) about a corp return to be reviewed later today. Then back to California!

1 pm: Lunch time. Angel hair pomodoro leftovers from the Old Spaghetti Factory last weekend, salad of romaine, grape tomatoes, and cherry balsamic dressing. And I didn't end up eating much of the bell pepper, it just tasted off. Plus some Thin Mints.

Lunch: 14 grams of protein, 2 fruits/veggies

2 pm: I get a new keyboard! It's been sporadically disconnecting, and only fixable by restarting my computer. Wasn't doing it often, but often enough to be annoying, so I finally emailed IT about it.. IT brought me a new shiny keyboard. :) Also realized once I started typing on the new one that the little ridges on the F and J keys to help finger positioning had almost completely worn off on my old one. I'd had it since I started here - almost 7 years ago. (Gotten new computer since then, but kept using the same keyboard with it.)

3 pm: Set aside the LLC for now to review a C corp tax provision and return. 



4 pm: Still working on the C corp - had to reconcile the stock options deferred tax asset (am I throwing out words like that just make my job look impressive? maybe), which is a bit complex no matter what, but I only deal with it a couple times a year, so I have to re-remember how it works each time. Take a quick look at the weather for the next couple hours - it's been raining for most of the day, but looks like it'll be clear for my planned run at 5.

5 pm: Change to head out for a run.

6 pm: Back at work. Also snacking (first dinner?) on some ants on a log. Followed a bit later by some more Thin Mints.

Dinner 1: 16 grams of protein, 1.5 fruits/veggies



7 pm: Wrapped up the workpapers for the C corp, planning to review the return itself in the morning. Back to the LLC. Now looking at allocations of income to its members.

8 pm: Still allocating income and reviewing percentages.

9 pm: Leaving work! Get home, quick shower, and heat up some leftover pizza for second dinner.

Dinner 2: 23 grams of protein. 0.5 fruits/veggies

10 pm: Hanging out on the couch with Imogene, watch tonight's episode of The Big Bang Theory (I love that CBS posts episodes as soon as they've aired, instead of waiting until the next day, the next week, or - in some awful cases - 30 days like hulu does - or like some networks require hulu to do? not really sure what level that decision is made at). Also catching up on facebook, twitter, blogs, GOMI.

11 pm: Bedtime, at least half an hour later than I should have gone to bed.

Total
Hours worked: 11
Minutes exercised: 62
Grams of protein: 63
Fruits & veggies: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...