Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Running Gear: Odds & Ends


If you're not careful, you can end up spending way too much money on running gear. It's not necessary, but it can be useful. I have this whole basket of random running stuff in my closet. A few of my favorite miscellaneous items:

Arm warmers: These ones are by Brooks and I bought them at REI last year, but I can't find them now on either website. They're a super soft fabric, have thumb holes, and a little mitten-type cover to pull over your fingers. But I highly recommend arm warmers of some variety for transitional fall and spring weather. When you know a short-sleeve shirt will suffice once you've warmed up, these are much easier than a long-sleeve shirt to take off, and carry or tuck into your waistband for the remainder of the run.

SPI belt: (Stands for Small Personal Items) Once I became a smartphone person, I've stuck with androids (because they're far superior to iphones) - but this can be an issue in fitting a larger phone into the storage pouch on many types of running hydration belts. The SPI belt, though, is stretchy - in both the pocket, so it'll fit any size phone, and the belt, so it's very comfortable and doesn't excessively bounce.



Reflective vest: I can't find this online, now, either! It's by Runner's World, and I picked it primarily because it's not ugly neon yellow! It's also adjustable and fairly comfortable, plus there's a zippered pocket on the front.








Gloves: Really, any old gloves will do. But these have an important feature for running: The two gloves clip together. So if you take them off mid-run, you can stick one in your waistpant, hang the other outside to counterbalance, and carry them without hassle or worrying about them falling. The other reason I chose these particular gloves is that they come in sizes, so I could actually wear gloves that don't have a ton of extra room at the ends of the fingers, and they came in white (well, officially they're grey, but they look off-white in person) for better visibility.

Hat: This is made by Brooks, but branded for a half marathon I did. I bought it at the next half I did after that one sponsored by the same running store. It was cold and raining, and I wanted something to keep the rain off my face. I'm not a hat person, but considering how much it rains here, it's worth having.



Road ID: You could also carry your license or a notecard with info, but you should always have some information about yourself and emergency contact when you're running by yourself! I've been meaning to order a new one (to add Abe), but Susan posted the other day about the 1BandID - a similar metal ID plate that wraps onto a watch band, so you only have to wear the one thing for both GPS and ID - and I'm considering getting that instead with the updated info.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...