Sunday, September 8, 2013

Seriously, It's Fun

There's an older gentleman at work who lives a couple miles away from me (not my boss I mentioned the other day, who also lives in the vicinity, but a semi-retired former partner of the firm) and sees me out running occasionally. He's a friendly, chatty guy who likes to get know people, so he checks in with me every so often as to how my running and marathon training is going. 

The other day I mentioned that my long runs weren't quite where I wanted them to be, and I wasn't sure if I'd do another marathon in the foreseeable future, but was still enjoying running as a challenging hobby.

"A hobby? How is running a hobby? It's an activity, exercise, it's not a hobby."

It's not an uncommon response. Whenever I say that I run because it's "fun", people question that, assume that I'm stating that to... I don't know, be politically correct? Justify spending time on exercise? Many people will at least accept that it's fun to have the feeling of accomplishment after a run, but not that the running itself is fun.

Certainly, the runner's high is a nice feeling! I like aiming for and meeting challenging goals. But why is it so unbelievable that the running itself is also enjoyable? Not every time; sometimes I just slog through the miles, to stick to the training schedule or burn the calories. But often, an easy run, feeling your body moving without arduous effort, or a speed workout, proving again and again that your body is capable of more than you realized... that truly is fun!


2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What an interesting response! I totally think of it as an enjoyable hobby. I mean, if I didn't enjoy it, why would I do it? And also... while I started it for health, I have stuck with it at many different weights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? Even if the occasional run is miserable, I wouldn't devote this kind of time to a hobby - regardless of exercise - that I didn't enjoy most of the time! I don't know if it's because I seem/appear unathletic, or something along those lines?

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...