Friday, September 20, 2013

Planning to Take Action

I'm much more of a planner than a doer. Even as a kid, I would plan out elaborate things (like annual Christmas pageants for my stuffed animals), but only occasionally follow through and make an event or project happen. Several years ago I made a "101 things in 1,001 days" list, and only completed about 15 of the items. Maybe it's laziness, but I prefer to just think about how I'm such an awesome planner that that's where I should focus my energy (ok, not really, but I do think I'm good at planning!).

I recently realized that I'm over halfway through the three years for my 30 before 30 list (which I came up with on my 27th birthday; I'm now just three months away from turning 29), and I've only completed 2 1/2 items (the 1/2 is because I did go through the entire process to donate blood, but the Red Cross determined after the fact that my travel within the past twelve months made me ineligible at the time). So I need to make a game plan. 

To do this fall (before next tax season)
  • Take a flying lesson. I just reached out to a couple people (a family friend who is an air traffic controller, and a random person on a message board who happened to mention in a thread that she's working on her private pilots license) to figure out what I need to do to make this happen, what certifications a school or instructor should have for it to be safe, etc.
  • Shoot a gun. I have a friend who knows how to shoot guns; just need to get in touch with her to arrange a get together. If that somehow falls through, I also have a coworker who competes in shooting (gun and archery) competitions, who I think would also be willing to meet with me for an hour or two at a gun range.
  • Build a ship in a bottle. I bought a kit months ago to do this; I think I'll pull it out this weekend to start.
  • Run a marathon. This will happen in just over two weeks!
  • Take a fencing class. Started some preliminary googling to find places that offer classes.
  • Donate hair. I believe my hair is plenty long enough now, but am waiting until after the marathon, since the style I'll be cutting it to (a chin-length bob) will be difficult to pull back out of my face while running.
  • Donate blood. Will do this after December 1 when my 12-month deferral (from traveling to an area with malaria risk) is over.

To do next summer
  • Ride Amtrak. I'm not exactly sure what I meant by "across the country" - I think I meant at least to the midwest. This might be feasible to work into Abe's plans for next summer's road trip, which is a lot longer than I want to be on a road trip. Could drive out to Wisconsin (where he attended college) with him, and then take Amtrak back to Oregon, perhaps?
  • Build a computer. I think I could convince Abe to volunteer with me at Free Geek.
  • Perform in something. Summer's definitely the best season for this timewise (the least hours/pressure at work).
  • Make good pad see ew. 
  • Change the oil in my car myself. 
  • Do 50 push-ups. Trying to work more strength training into my workouts already since the peak of marathon training is over, but I think it'll take several months of focus on arms to work up to this.
  • Do NaBloPoMo.
  • Eat raw for a week.
  • Spend 24 hours in silence.
  • Swim 1,000 yards. After the marathon I plan to join a gym with a pool and start training to do triathlons next summer.
  • Run a 5k in under 30 minutes. Plan on changing my focus to speed after the marathon, but again, I think it'll be several months of work to actually achieve this.
  • Bowl a game over 200.
  • Ride in a hot air balloon.
  • Go whale watching, go spelunking, go rock climbing. I think these will need to be part of next summer's adventure/travel plans.
  • Get a manicure and pedicure. Flip flop season is close to its end; might as well put this off until summer so it'll get the most appreciation.
To do next fall
  • Drive a stick shift. Mostly putting this off because it should actually be fairly easy to do. If I can't find a friend with a stick shift, it's worth paying $30 or whatever to rent a car that's a manual sometime while my dad's in town to (re)teach me how to drive it.
  • Visit a country outside of North America.
  • Watch all of the Best Picture winners, and read all of the Booker prize winners. I am working through both of these, but probably won't complete it until close to my 30th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...