Sunday, May 10, 2015

NROLFW Phase 2 Week 1

Workouts

Monday: Easy run 2.0 miles (12:56 pace)

Tuesday: Swim 1,400 yards + NROLFW phase 2 workout A

Phase 2 of NROLFW is a total of 8 workouts, so 3 - 4 weeks, depending on if you do 2 or 3 workouts per week. I've been doing up to and probably will stick to just 2 workouts/week, since I'm fitting it in around a lot of other activities. I've already done 6 workouts for phase 2, but that spanned the course of almost two months, so I decided to re-start and do all of the workouts in just the 4 weeks it should take.

Wednesday: Easy run 3.25 miles (12:44 pace) + bike trainer 5.6 miles (15.1 mph, 54 rpm)

Thursday: Swim 1,000 yards (2:14/100 yds) + NROLFW HIIT workout run 1.55 miles (11:35 avg pace) + Qi Yoga for Runners (20 min)

The NROLFW phase 2 workout B is supposed to include a 15 minute HIIT workout - it can be any kind of cardio, but for me I want to utilize it to work on my running speedwork. It's meant to be 1 minute for the hard intervals, but since I'd like to get under an 8:00 pace for quarter mile intervals (which would correspond with my goal 5k pace of 9:39), over the four weeks I want to stretch it to 2 minutes and get it under 8:00. 

Goal: Warm-up 3 min, 4 x 1 min hard (<9:00)/2 min easy, cool-down 3 min
Actual
Warm-up 3 min: 13:17
4 x 1 min intervals: 8:13, 8:00, 8:35, 8:01
4 x 2 min recovery: 13:53, 13:05, 13:27, 13:42
Cool-down 3 min: 12:02

Friday: Long(ish) run 6.0 miles (12:49 pace)

As I headed out for my run around 11:00 and entered a bike path that goes alongside Highway 26, I realized there were a couple helicopters overhead. Then, a guy ran by me - not weird, until I realized he was wearing sandals, not a typical bicyclist or runner using the path. Up a ways, he stopped and situated himself along the fence for a good viewing of the highway. Based on an article I'd read earlier, Obama was supposed to have been driving by that area sometime in the 10:00 hour (leaving Nike, heading to the airport), with Air Force One scheduled to depart at 11:00. But once I could see 26, it was apparent that he was still on the way. Eastbound was totally empty, and I could see flashing lights at the ramps in either direction. A couple bicyclists had stopped and were also hanging out watching.


Just a few minutes later, the motorcade went by. Not that seeing a bunch of cars is all that inherently exciting, but it was pretty cool to just know I was in that close proximity to the President!



Saturday: Bike 3.9 miles (8.6 mph) + bike trainer 3.75 miles (14.9 mph, 50 rpm) + NROLFW phase 2 workout B

At my bike fitting on Friday, I got toe clips and straps (don't necessarily help with power, as being clipped in would, but keep your foot aligned properly which does indirectly aid with power), and even though I realized I wasn't actually attached, it still freaked me out to ride that way. I cut the ride shorter than planned, and continued on the trainer to practice quickly removing my foot so I feel comfortable that I could easily pull away from the bike in a fall.

Sunday: Yoga class (90 minutes) + very easy run 1.59 miles (13:20 pace)

Total swimming: 2,400 yards
Total biking: 13.25 miles
Total running: 14.39 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...