Thursday, January 8, 2015

Three Things Thursday: Good Movies Seen Lately

1. The Theory of Everything: The life of Stephen Hawking, as told in his wife Jane's memoir. (The main actor I couldn't place, and then finally realized that I recognized him from playing Marius in Les Miserables. 

I tend not to always like these types of "historical" (using the word loosely, as it's such recent history, but I think it's still roughly that genre) movies, but although somewhat slow moving and long, this actually kept my attention fairly well throughout. Though I was aware of who Stephen Hawking is and a very basic outline of his life, I wasn't aware of a lot of it, so it was really interesting to learn about! Definitely considering reading the memoir it's based on.

2. Into the Woods: A movie version of the Sondheim musical. I've seen stage productions of it at least twice (that I can specifically recall, but I feel like I've seen it more than that?), and it's one of Abe's favorite musicals. They stayed pretty true to the stage version, with some minor changes but most notably cutting out anything that overtly or subtly referred to sex (including the reprise of Agony, which is especially sad because they did a great job with the main Agony song). Which, I guess makes sense that they had to Disney-fy it, but still annoying. Overall enjoyable, nonetheless.

3. Gone Girl: Based on the book of the same name, which if you're anyone but me you've probably already read. I went into the movie with only a very vague concept of the general plot (and no idea about how it changes mid-way through), so it definitely kept me on the edge of my seat! Abe apparently had no idea what it was about at all, and was disturbed by the first half, but got caught up in the intrigue in the second half.

I don't know yet how it compares to the book - I am reading it now but only a few chapters in; so far there are some minor discrepancies but moving along the same track as the movie (I heard the ending in the book is different - but closed the website saying so before reading too far, so as to not be spoiled for the book). So I don't know if reading the book first makes the movie better or worse, but if you haven't read it, it's really great, very intriguing, and I would imagine it makes it better to not know what twists are coming up. 

I don't know if I can re-watch episodes of HIMYM without having an entirely different view on Barney, though. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...