Wednesday, January 21, 2015

PMT Style Challenge: Wear a Bright Color

I know it's only a couple weeks, but I'm really enjoying the prompts and incentive to do more with my work attire. I even took some time Sunday night to plan out outfits for the whole week, so I could be a little creative without it being stressful each morning as I'm rushing out the door.


This week's challenge: wear a bright color. Um, beyond my fluorescent running clothes, I truly don't own anything "bright". All of my work clothes (and most of my casual clothes) are jewel tones (plus black and gray). As such I modified this challenge to wear "bold" color, especially in a way that puts it front and center (i.e., not hidden under a black blazer or cardigan). I ended up doing a couple outfits this week along those line:


Dress outfit: I bought this dress for Christmas - it was on sale, comfy, and fit perfectly. For Christmas, I wore it without a jacket or sweater (it's sleeveless, but we were indoors for all celebrations) and a thin belt on the waistline (it really does need something to break up the expanse of burgundy). I was hoping to get use out of it for work, too, which I thought would work well since it is definitely work-appropriate with its higher neckline and longer hem. However, it's such a "bright" color (in my world), I felt self-conscious wearing it - especially when I knew I'd add something else to the top, making it essentially a bold colored skirt, drawing attention to the area that I usually hide in plain black slacks.

I don't completely love this outfit (I think partly because the hemline actually feels too long, at least if I don't wear heels with it, I might shorten it by an inch or so), but I did get a couple compliments! It's ridiculous comfortable too, as both the dress and blazer are knits.

Dress, blazer, and tights from Target. Boots from Fred Meyer. Necklace from Etsy.

Pants outfit: I planned out this top with a skirt and heeled boots for today, but when I realized today was the last of the week without rain so I could wear flats (without my feet getting wet), I switched it to slacks.

I would normally wear this green shirt as an undershirt, not the prominent piece - under a more neutral blazer or cardigan. I also don't think I've ever worn a collared shirt underneath something other than a v-neck sweater, so utilizing the scoop-neck tee as a topper in that way was also branching out in a fun way.

Top from H&M. Collared sleeveless shirt from Goodwill (originally JC Penney). Slacks from Target. Shoes from Payless. Necklace from Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...