Friday, November 22, 2013

Literary Posers

NaBloPoMo prompt: How important are book covers in getting you to read a book.

Not very. The back cover description and/or a recommendation from a person or website I trust is probably the most important factor. I'll also read books that I'm completely unsure about if they're for a book club; I haven't managed to make it to a meeting yet but have been reading along for a few months for a vegan book club meetup group. I even read my first Stephen King novel (Under the Dome) for that group last month, and found it kind of disturbing, but not bad.

The one thing that can make or break a book choice, though, is if it's recently been made into a movie. Regardless of whether it's a book I've loved for ages, or one I've only even heard of because of the movie, I refuse to buy a book that has an image from the movie version on the cover, and let people who see it assume that I'm only reading the book because of the movie. It's an absolute dealbreaker!

Does a movie-based book cover affect your book choices positively or negatively?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...