Friday, November 1, 2013

But Not a Real Green Dress, That's Cruel

NaBloPoMo prompt: If you found one million dollars in the morning and had to spend it all by nightfall, what would you do with the money?

Stuff:
  • Buy a Prius [$20,000]
  • Buy a house - moderately sized, 3 bed/2 bath [$300,000]
  • Buy new furniture for that house [$10,000]
  • Buy some gadgets - a new computer for Abe, maybe a new one for myself (when my current one dies I want one of the tablet hybrids - but those will be outdated by then), camera, e-reader, etc. [$10,000]
  • Buy a multi-sport Garmin each for me and Abe [$500 x 2]
  • Buy a nice triathlon bike each for me and Abe [$5,000 x 2]
  • Buy kayaks for me and Abe [$500 x 2]
Experiences:
  • Book a month-long vacation in Europe [$10,000]
  • Book a wedding [$15,000]
  • Pay off my student loans [$14,000]
Gifts:
  • Buy a house for my sister (she lives in a cheaper COL area than me) [$200,000]
  • Donate to the Cat Adoption Team (where I adopted Imogene from) [$409,000]

This was actually harder than I thought to even come up with items (I made the assumption that investing wasn't an allowed method of "spending" the money), and this includes higher costs than I would budget than if I were actually spending my own money. I.e., I think I would cap my spending on furniture for a house around $5,000, or for a wedding at $10,000. And some of those might still look low by some standards - but I honestly can't imagine spending more than $15,000 or $20,000 at the absolute max on a wedding, even if I had the funds available.

If it were a question of having a significantly large amount of annual income, I would certainly put more money into things that are a recurring cost (like a yearly vacation) or have a faster turnover (my wardrobe). But I don't like stockpiling things, so I wouldn't be interested in spending a one-shot spending spree for things like clothes.

If I could only buy one thing, I would probably buy a house, since that would have the biggest future impact of reducing a constant living expense. 

How many blog posts from this NaBloPoMo prompt do you think will reference the Barenaked Ladies?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...