Friday, February 17, 2017

Friday Five: Benefits of Winter Running

Linking up today with Fairytales and Fitness and Running on Happy for Friday Five 2.0. The theme for today is "winter fitness rants" - but I'd rather go the opposite direction! Maybe (ok, probably) it's just because I've been out of the exercise - and running, in particular - game for several months, but I'm enjoying the winter running ("running", such as it is) this year. It does have its perks.

What usually passes as "snow fall" in Portland,
though we had much more than that this year!

1. The cooler temperatures mean you can head out for a run on a nice weekend afternoon (rather than have to get up insanely early to beat the heat) - and that makes it perfect for the whole family to head out. Especially since I'm doing running intervals, I've joined Abe the baby for my weekend run/walk the last couple weeks. I run, walk back, walk together, etc. We can even make our route towards a park nearby for baby playtime now that he's old enough to sit in the swing (though doesn't seem terribly thrilled so far). 

2. Those cooler temperatures also mean your pace isn't impact by the heat - so you can feel awesome about how much faster you are than in the summer! This is particularly relevant when just getting back into running - I know my paces aren't, and won't be, anywhere near my pre-pregnancy paces for a while. But not being hampered by hot weather and at least makes what I'm capable of a little easier to handle.

3. To stay cool in the summer, you can only strip down so far. It may be annoying to have so many freaking layers on, but at least you can keep adding layers to stay warm. 

4. I actually really enjoy the peace of being out on a dark, cool evening. Less foot traffic or vehicle traffic, easier to just enjoy the sky and stars above you. 

5. Of course, in the dark you do need to make sure you're visible to others - I think it's fun to have different reflective and lighted gear. At the moment I have a reflective + blinky vest and blinky lights on my shoes. I just saw a suggestion on Amazon for lighted and reflective slap wristbands, which I'm very tempted to get!




3 comments:

  1. It's really easy to hate on winter running, so thanks for reminding us of the positives. If you can train during the winter, you can do just about anything! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would much rather run in the cold than in the heat of summer. It's so peaceful out and beautiful. With the right layers the temps aren't a big deal, but the conditions can make speedwork really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is winter weather usually like in your area? We've had a very mild winter so I can't complain but I'll take summer running any day. I just feel more motivated...haha.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...