Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Pregnancy: Month 9

I'm no longer pregnant, and it already kind of feels like a lifetime ago that I was. I ended up being induced at 38 weeks 6 days because of high blood pressure, and having our baby boy (to avoid making him too google-able and exposed without his consent, I won't be sharing his real name on here - he'll be Carl for the blog and public social media) at 39 weeks 1 day.




Month 1Month 2Month 3Month 4Month 5Month 6Month 7. Month 8.


Official weeks: 37 - 39

Milestones

  • Signed our wills.
  • Had the baby.


Symptoms

  • Heartburn.
  • Frequent peeing.
  • Generally uncomfortable.
  • High blood pressure - it crept up for a few weeks and by my 38 week appointment hit the threshold to be of concern. I came in for an extra check a few days later and it was back down, but then even higher at my 39 week appointment, hence the inducement.


Mental health:

For the first time I started feeling somewhat "hormonal", and just generally tired and unmotivated, and ready to be done.

Food

I was starting to be able to eat some larger meals at a time, rather than constant snacking of smaller portions.

Purchases & gifts

Some gifts from work - I was supposed to be have a joint shower with a colleague who was due the day after me, then she had her baby 4 weeks early, the week before the shower was scheduled for. I really didn't want a shower that was focused just on me (didn't truly want one in the first place at all, although I appreciate the sentiment behind it), so I got them to postpone it until after I had the baby, and we'd both bring in the babies and have cake to celebrate. But people had already bought/planned to buy gifts, so just dropped them by my office.

Weight gained: +41 pounds

By the last couple weeks it had leveled off, and I'd even lost a pound by my final appointment from the one prior.

Clothes

Pretty much everything was starting to feel like I was reaching capacity. Maternity jeans are no longer super comfy once the uterus is low enough that the denim part before the knit panel starts is sort of digging into it.

Currently reading

Still not doing much reading. 

Most surprised by

How things turned out in the end - having a risk leading to inducement and some subsequent complications - after what seemed like a pretty textbook pregnancy. Also how unprepared I was for an induction - I had some vague knowledge, but hadn't looked into it specifically. I think I would have done some research to prepare if I'd gone overdue in preparation of the risk of being induced if I went too far without labor starting, but it truly hadn't occurred to me that I might end up induced for any other reason. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!!

    That first week after birth is hell and the first month isn't much better. But don't be discouraged! For me, parenthood started getting fun at around the 4 - 6 week mark.

    But there are is very little in this world that is nicer than holding a sleeping baby. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...