Tuesday, January 5, 2016

November PDX Restaurant: Papa G's

Website

After the Peacock Lane Run, Abe, Karey, and I headed to Papa G's for dinner. The guy serving us noticed Karey's race shirt (from last year's Holiday Half), and mentioned that he'd been thinking of doing some kind of race to keep up his running. I think we talked him into doing a half marathon some time soon! 

Genre: Deli, comfort food

Price: $2.50 - $4.75 drinks, $7.95 - $10.95 entrees

Setting: Rustic-y, casual diner with counter service.



What we tried

For drinks, I had the hibiscus cooler, Abe got the limeade, and Karey tried the kefir. I tried a sip of the kefir - it was interesting, a bit tangy like yogurt but not overly so. I don't think I'd want to drink a whole glass of it, but it wasn't that bad!



I got the chili with cornbread. Unlike many restaurants, the chili wasn't too spicy - just spicy enough. Abe got the country plate, and Karey got the nacho salad. Everyone enjoyed their meals!



Overall impression: A very Portland kind of place! Very crunchy vibe in both atmosphere and food. Food is good, but kind of out there in terms of using veg substitutes (lots of tempeh or tofu in dishes that would otherwise have meat - I think naturally-veg stuff is more accessible to non-vegetarians). 

Would I take my parents?*: Maybe. I think they could find food they'd enjoy (though perhaps a bit out of their comfort zone), but the vibe is very Portland and perhaps not quite what they'd enjoy.

*Scale: Heck no. No. Probably not. Maybe. Eh, yeah. Yes. Definitely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...