Friday, January 15, 2016

Friday Five: My Favorite Running Moments

Linking up today with MarCynthia, and Courtney for Friday Five.

As I've developed as a runner over the past five years, my goals and abilities have changed. I didn't start with any goal more specific than "finish a 5k with my friends", but since then have accomplished many more. As I think about my next goals, some of my favorite moments throughout that time came to mind.


1. My first marathon. The only run or race I've ever cried at the finish. I've never been so relieved to be done with something, yet still so glad to have done it. Even before I was a runner, and didn't think of myself as a runner, if you'd told me sometime I'd run 5ks, I'd be "eh, seems possible". If you'd told me I'd run marathons, I'd say you've gone bonkers. There's definitely something to be said for doing something beyond your wildest dreams.

2. When I did a 5k with my whole family. They walked it, I didn't convince them (that I know of) to start training to run anything. But I got to share an experience with them that's become a huge part of my life, and I think they enjoyed the accomplishment of their own!

3. My first 10k under an hour. While PR-setting races are often pushing the boundaries of what I think I can do, this one was seriously past what I truly thought I was capable of. It was only a random conversation with a colleague the day before that made think it was a reasonable goal to even pace myself so that it was possible from the start. 

4. My first 5k, when I didn't know if I'd be able to run the entire way without stopping, but I did! It was slow, but I finished it without walking. I've taken walking breaks in plenty of runs and races since then, but it set me on a the path of setting goals that are at least a smidge beyond what you think you can do.

5. The first mile I truly ran - in 8th grade, for the miles test in PE. Before that, I just walked/jogged the mile with my friends (somehow having the idea that it was around 12 minutes in my head, then as an adult wondering how the hell I was that "fast" without even trying!). The last year the Presidential fitness tests were required, the time for my age was 9:00. I don't know what set it off, but I decided I wanted to finally beat the standard. My parents took down to the bike path to practice running for a month or two beforehand, and the day of, I finished the mile in 8:56 or 8:54! (I can't even remember which! I have the 4/6 stuck in my head, but can't remember if it was 56/beat by 4 seconds, or vice versa.)



8 comments:

  1. I love these. I think I've cried after most of my marathons though lol (maybe because I was unhappy with my time?). Kidding. In a sap. I cried at the end of my 50-miler, but never at the end of an ultra. Strange. Anyway, I really like this list -- runners come from all backgrounds, this is a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I'd cry at the end of an ultra! I can't even imagine!

      Delete
  2. I've only run two marathons but I sobbed both times! I love this list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised I didn't at my 2nd!

      Delete
  3. I have ran with my sister in several races and we have both ran with our mom and dad in races but we never have all done the same race together. hopefully one of these yrs we will be all able to share that experience together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really cool, though I was surprised I was able to talk them all into doing it. :)

      Delete
  4. You never forget your first marathon :) Such an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was an awesome experience! Even the joy of PR-ing on my next marathon didn't even come close.

      Delete

Please join in the conversation!

Please note: Although I'm trying to keep the commenting as wide open as possible and not requiring logging in to one of the profile options, there have been reports of glitches and comments disappearing while trying to post under the Anonymous option. I would recommend logging in if you have one of the profiles, or at least copying your comment to paste back in if something goes haywire.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...